Adornit Gigi Blooms Fabric: Botanical (main), Tweets (ruffles), Crackle Gray (lining)
May Arts 5/8” Double Faced Faux Suede Ribbon: Silver, Pink
Stitch n Sew Sew-In High Loft Fleece, ½ yd.
Buckle and button set
1” binder rings, three
Thread: aqua, white
Iron and pressing surface
Fabric disappearing marker
This idea was originally published in our 2016 Garden issue. Subscribe today and save off newsstand prices! You’ll get ALL the projects delivered to you in six jam-packed issues per year.
1. Print full-size pattern. Cut main fabric, lining and fleece following
2. Rip 1½”-2” strips from contrasting fabric the same length of main fabric from Step 1. Baste down length of fabric strip along center to gather strips. Pull thread to ruffle and gather as shown. Layer botanical fabric on fleece and pin ruffles 2½” apart as shown. Machine-sew in place. Place silver ribbon at center of ruffles and machine-sew along top and bottom edge with contrasting thread.
3. With right sides of lining and main fabric facing, pin pink ribbon in between as shown. Machine-sew around edges using ¼” seam allowance. Leave 3” opening to turn. Turn right side out and press. Hand-sew opening closed.
4. Hand-sew pink ribbon to lining by stitching under and around ribbon to define binder ring placement at 2”, 2½”, 4½”, 5”, 7” and 7½” from top. Add binder rings in between stitches as shown. Add paper.
5. Hand-sew buttons in place on silver ribbon as shown. Thread 5” piece of silver ribbon through buckle part of closure, fold in half, pin in place and machine-sew to top flap.