1. For unit 1, cut one 2"x40" strip and one 2"x8" each from light green and dark green fabrics. Machine-sew matching-length light and dark green strips together lengthwise, making two sets. Press seams toward darker fabric. Cut each strip at 2" intervals to make eight two-color units for 24 total.
2. For unit 2, cut one 4"x24" strip each from peppermint and dark green fabrics. Cut each strip into six 4" squares. Layer one peppermint and one dark green square, right sides together. Draw a pencil line diagonally across back of peppermint square. Machine-sew scant 1/4" from each side of drawn line. Cut on drawn line. Press seams toward darker fabric and trim edges so each half-square triangle unit is 3-1/2".
3. For unit 3, cut one 4"x16" strip each from red print and dark green fabrics. Cut each strip into four 4" squares. Layer one red and one green square, right sides together. Follow instructions for unit 2 to make eight half-square triangle units.
4. For unit 4, cut one 3-1/2"x28" strip from peppermint fabric into eight 3-1/2" squares. For unit 5, cut one 2"x28" strip red print and cut at 3-1/2" intervals to make eight 2"x3-1/2" units.
5. For unit 6, cut one 4-3/4" square from peppermint fabric and cut two 3-7/8" squares from red fabric. Cut red squares once on the diagonal to make a total of four triangles. Machine-sew one red triangle to opposite sides of peppermint square. Press seams toward red. Repeat with remaining red triangles. This unit should measure 6-1/2" square.
6. Arrange and machine-sew units into strips following the diagram: Strip A (make 6): unit 1 (2), unit 2 (2), unit 4 (1); Strip B (make 4): unit 1 (2), unit 3 (2), unit 5(2); Strip C (make 1): Unit 1 (4); unit 4 (2); unit 6 (1). These strips will make up runner top.
7. Arrange strips and sew together as shown in Layout Diagram.
8. To make border, cut two 2"x16-1/2" strips from red fabric. Machine-sew one strip to each short side of runner. Cut two 2"x40-1/2" strips from red fabric. Sew one strip to each long side of runner. Press seams away from center.
9. Quilt and bind. Layer backing, batting, and top. Baste or pin to secure layers. Quilt as desired. Trim backing even with quilt top.
10. Cut three 2-1/2"x40" strips border fabric for binding. Machine-sew strips together on short edges to make one long strip and press seams on one side. Fold strip in half lengthwise, enclosing wrong side, to make a 1-1/4"-wide strip. Machine-sew binding strip to front of quilt top, then turn to back and machine-sew to enclose raw edges of quilt. Discard excess binding.