Sewn Goodie Baskets
Sewn Goodie Baskets
- Quilter’s cotton: green dot, 1/4 yd.; red dot, 1/4 yd.; white tone on tone, 1/3 yd.; coordinating print, 1/3 yd.
- Jumbo rickrack, 1 yd.
- White sewing thread
- PFAFF Sewing Machine with 1/4” Right Guide Foot and Stitch-in-Ditch Foot
- PFAFF INSPIRA Universal Needles, size 90
- Foam stabilizer
- The Warm Co. 1/4” Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 Double Stick Webbing
- scissors, straight pins, rotary cutter with cutting mat, ruler, iron and pressing surface
- 1. Cut four 1-3/4" strips from green dot and four 1-3/4" strips from red dot. Cut two 10"x13" panels from white tone on tone and foam stabilizer.
- 2. Insert size 90 universal needle and thread machine with white sewing thread. Attach 1/4" Right Guide Foot and select straight stitch.
- 3. Place one green strip and one red strip right sides together. Position under foot so edge of fabric aligns with guide on foot; sew. Press seam allowances toward darker fabric. Repeat for other strips.
- 4. Cut pieced strips into 3" squares. Arrange squares to create chevron pattern according to diagram. Assemble four rows of six squares with 1/4" seams. Press. Join rows together with 1/4" seams. Press.
- 5. Repeat Steps 1-4 to create a second unit that mirrors the first unit.
- 6. Center pieced units on top of 10"x13" foam stabilizer with right side facing up; pin. Flip unit over to sew from stabilizer side. Sew 1/4" from cut edge around all four sides to baste layers together. Trim pieced unit to match stabilizer.
- 7. Attach Stitch-in-Ditch Foot. Stitch in ditch of seams, following zigzag pattern to quilt layers.
- 8. Attach standard presser foot. Place quilted units right sides together aligning cut edges; pin. Stitch around three sides with 1/2" seam allowance. Leave top edge open.
- 9. Clip corners diagonally and press seam allowances open. With right sides together, pull out one of the corners; match side seam with bottom seam and pin. Measure and place a mark 3" up from corner. Draw a line across corner at marked point, perpendicular to seam line. Stitch on marked line to box corner. Trim off corner leaving a 1/2" seam allowance. Repeat for second corner.
- 10. Construct lining in same manner, placing two 10"x13" white tone on tone right sides together. Sew around three sides with 5/8" seam allowance to make lining slightly smaller than outer basket. Leave top edge open.
- 11. Clip corners diagonally and press the seam allowances open. With right sides together, pull out one of the corners; match side seam with bottom seam and pin. Measure and place a mark 3" up from corner. Draw a line across corner at marked point, perpendicular to seam line. Stitch on marked line to box corner. Trim off corner leaving a 1/2" seam allowance. Repeat for second corner.
- 12. Sew around top of basket 3/8" from edge.
- 13. Pin jumbo rickrack to right side of basket around top edge, using stitching line as a guide. The dip of the scallop should be placed just slightly above stitching line. Start at a side seam and leave a tail approximately 1-2" at both beginning and end. Fold back tails at both ends to ensure raw edges are not caught in stitching.
- 14. Sew around basket top 1/2" from edge. Turn right side out and press seam allowance to inside of basket.
- 15. Place lining inside basket with wrong sides together. Tack lining to basket bottom at corners.
- 16. Press under 1/2" around top edge of lining. Pin lining to basket at top edge, matching side seams and making sure scalloped edge of rickrack sticks out between lining and basket.
- 17. Apply narrow double-sided fusible web according to manufacturer's instructions to hold lining in place. Topstitch around top of basket close to edge.