Jumbo Beach Tote
Jumbo Beach Tote
- Fabric: striped exterior, 3/4 yd.; lime green exterior, 1 yd.; aqua interior, 1 yd.
- Matching thread
- Sewing machine with heavy-duty needle
- Sewing needle
- Fusible interfacing
- scissors, straight pins, thimble, iron, pressing cloth, and pressing surface
- 1. Note: Use 1/2" seam allowance unless otherwise noted.
- 2. Press fabrics before cutting. Cut two 21"x9" panels (for exterior top with stripes horizontal along 21" side) and four 21"x7" panels (for interior pockets) from striped fabric. Cut two 21"x9" panels (for exterior bottom), two 5-1/2"x32" strips (for handles), and two 5"x4" panels (for decorative tag) from lime green fabric. Cut two 21"x17" panels (for interior lining) from aqua fabric. From interfacing, cut four 21"x9", four 21"x7", two 5-1/2"x32", and two 21"x17" panels. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse interfacing panels to wrong side of same-size fabric panels.
- 3. Position handle face down on ironing board. Press end selvages over 1/2"; repeat with side selvages. Fold handles in half lengthwise; press firmly and pin in place. Machine-sew 1/16" around edges. Repeat to make second handle; set aside.
- 4. For inside pocket, position striped pocket panels with right sides together. Machine-sew selvages, leaving 3" opening to turn at bottom center. Clip corners; turn right side out. Push out corners and press. Machine-sew 1/16" around entire edge of pocket. Repeat to make second pocket.
- 5. Measure and mark 11" from long side of aqua interior lining panel. Position one pocket on right side of panel with bottom edge at mark; pin in place. Machine-sew bottom edge and sides of pocket to panel. Machine-sew sections in pocket following Diagram 1. Repeat with remaining pocket and panel.
- 6. Position lime green tag panels with right sides together. Machine-sew around selvage leaving 2" opening on side. Clip corners; turn right side out. Push out corners and press. Set aside.
- 7. Machine-sew striped exterior top panel to lime green exterior bottom panel along 21" sides; press seam open. Repeat with other exterior panels. Pin handles and tag (in 4" area between handle ends) following Diagram 2. Topstitch 1/16" from edge. Position both exterior panels with right sides together; pin at sides and bottom matching selvages. Machine-sew selvages.
- 8. Position aqua interior panels with right sides together; pin at sides and bottom matching selvages. Machine-sew selvages leaving 6" opening on center of bottom seam.
- 9. Make gusset on each bottom corner of both interior and exterior tote following Gusset Diagram. Position interior tote inside exterior tote with right sides together. Pin selvages together; machine-sew selvages together. Turn tote right side out through opening on bottom. Push gusset corners out. Press top edge of tote. Topstitch 1/8" from edge. Remove pins from handles. Press entire tote.