Fabric Tic-Tac-Toe Game
Fabric Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Navy cotton fabrics: flannel, 1/2 yd.; contrast print, 1/4 yd.
- Craft felt, 1/8 yd. each: red, yellow
- Yarn: yellow, white
- Husqvarna Viking Sewing Machine with Three Hole Yarn Foot and Interchangeable Dual Feed Foot with Changeable Zigzag Foot
- PFAFF Inspira Universal Needle, size 90
- Bosal In-R-Form Plus Fusible Foam Stabilizer, 36”x58”
- The Warm Co. Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 Double Stick Fusible Webbing: 9”x12”, two; 1/4”-wide, one roll
- Disappearing ink pen
- straight pins, scissors, rotary cutter and cutting mat, ruler, iron and pressing surface, teflon pressing sheet
- 1. Cut two 15-1/2"x15-1/2" squares from flannel, 15-1/2"x15-1/2" square from stabilizer, two 2-1/2"xWOF strips (binding) from print fabric, and two 9"x12" panels from each felt color.
- 2. Cover pressing surface with Teflon sheet. Position stabilizer and one flannel square, with right sides up, on pressing surface; follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse together. Repeat process to fuse other flannel square to stabilizer square.
- 3. Mark game grid on fused-flannel square by drawing lines 5-1/4" from all edges. Attach Couching foot. Cut yarn into 20" lengths; feed into foot. Couch yarn over each line on grid using decorative zigzag stitch, inserting new strands of yarn for each line. Trim ends.
- 4. Attach standard foot to sewing machine and select center needle straight stitch. Machine-sew binding strips together with mitered seam, creating one 70"-long strip. Trim seam allowance; press open. Fold strip in half lengthwise with wrong sides together; press.
- 5. Attach binding strip to front side of board. Leaving 3" tail, begin sewing 3" from one corner, using edge of foot as guide. Machine-sew to within 3/8" of corner, stopping with needle in fabric; pivot fabric and machine-sew diagonally into corner. Remove project. Fold binding strip up 90° from edge. Fold back down, creating fold in binding even with raw edge for mitered corner; stop sewing 3" from starting point. Repeat on remaining corners.
- 6. Fold binding to meet on bias; press to form crease. Unfold binding; pin creases together. Machine-sew binding ends with right sides together on creased lines. Refold binding; machine-sew to end. Wrap layers to back of project; press. Insert fusible webbing under fold of binding; press. Machine-sew binding on front side using straight, narrow zigzag, or appliqué stitch and dual feed foot.
- 7. Sandwich fusible webbing between two pieces of red felt; fuse together. Repeat with yellow felt. Visit www.CraftIdeas.com to print full-size patterns; click on Magazine, then Patterns. Cut "X" and "O" pieces from fused felt for game pieces.