Pattern - Wool Felt Chickadees
- 1. Print out full-size patterns. Cut one bird, including body, wing, and tail pieces, from each color felt.
- 2. Sew around edges of bird's body, leaving opening. Stuff each bird with fiberfill and hand-sew opening closed. Fold tail in half; hand-sew to back seam of bird. Following pattern, position wings on body; hand-sew in place using embroidery thread and running stitch. Align edges of each seam and hand-sew using running stitch. Leave 1-1/2" of tip unsewn at end of each wing. Knot and clip thread ends. Repeat to construct three birds total.
- 3. Condition clay in hands until soft and pliable. Roll Cadmium Yellow Hue clay to 1/16" thickness using roller. Cut two small triangles using craft knife. Lay triangles on top of each other. Press triangles together along one side. Open beak, separating top and bottom points opposite joined side. Repeat to three beaks total.
- 4. Roll small piece of Black clay into ball for eye; flatten with finger. Flatten tiny piece of White clay; affix to upper corner of eye. Repeat to make six eyes total.
- 5. Bake clay items on parchment-lined baking sheet following manufacturer's instructions; let cool completely. Adhere eyes and beaks to faces using glue gun.