Pattern - Watering Can Appliqué Hanging
- 1. Print out full-size patterns. Print pattern templates; cut out. Using iron, affix interfacing to wrong side of 5" square panels cut from both pink cotton fabrics. Using petal template, trace petals onto back side of fabrics; cut out. Using same method, iron, trace, and cut out watering can from fused gray fabric and flower centers from yellow print. Cut leaves and tulip from felt scraps.
- 2. Cut 2-1/2" squares from cotton fabrics using rotary cutter and mat: seven floral print, three yellow print, two green print, and three pink print. Then cut two 2-1/2"x44" strips from green print for binding.
- 3. Press white flannel panel. Using design template, lay out flowers and centers, leaves, and watering can. Zigzag stitch cotton fabrics in place; straight stitch felt flower. Stitch stems using Meadow ribbon.
- 4. Following diagram, quilt squares together; press seams open. Stitch single quilt strip to top of white panel. Appliqué piece; press seam open. Stitch rick rack across seam. Repeat process with 10-block quilted piece at bottom of white panel. Layer batting and quilted piece atop felt panel, trimming layers as necessary. Machine quilt entire piece.
- 5. Stitch short ends of green binding strips together; press in half lengthwise. Beginning in center of one side and leaving at least 6" of binding free, stitch binding to quilt with right sides and raw edges together. Continue stitching along side, stopping 1/4" from corner.
- 6. Remove quilt from machine. Fold binding straight up at 45° angle. Hold in place and fold straight back down on other side and pin. Continue stitching 1/4" from edge until reaching other corner. Repeat process for all corners, stopping about 6" from binding starting point.
- 7. Remove quilt from machine. Open binding and measure, right sides together, and pin. Stitch binding, then refold in half lengthwise. Pin raw edges to raw edges of quilt and continue stitching. Bring folded edge around back of quilt, miter corners, and hand-sew into place.
- 8. Cut 18" length of yellow ribbon; tie bow in center. Hand-sew each end to upper corner of wall hanging using embroidery thread.
- 9. Condition clay with hands until soft and pliable. Take 1" ball of Wasabi clay; roll to ¹∕16" thickness. Imprint clay with floral texture; cut oval out using cutter. Poke two holes on each side of oval for sewing. Roll (1:1) mixture of Blush and White clays thoroughly. Roll to ¹∕16" thickness. Free cut banner shape from clay using craft knife. Bake both pieces following manufacturer's instructions; let cool completely. Handpaint "Spring" on banner; adhere to oval using glue gun. Hand-sew oval to wall hanging using embroidery floss.