Pattern - Foldover Wedding Clutch
- 1. Print out full-size pattern. Cut out pattern pieces; trace onto cotton and leather as indicated. Cut out Lining and Base pieces precisely; cut loosely around perimeters of Shell pieces. Place Shell pieces right side down on ironing surface; cover with fusing, glue side down. Press well to bond; cut out Shell pieces along traced lines.
- 2. Cut two 2"x22" strips for ties. Choose Shell or Lining fabric, depending on whether ties should coordinate or contrast with clutch body. Fold and press long edges of ties toward middle of strips, wrong sides together. Fold one short end inward 1/2" and snip corners as shown. Fold each tie in half lengthwise and press, tucking ends neatly into fold. Top stitch across folded end and down long side using scant 1/8" seam allowance.
- 3. Sew bottom edges of Shell pieces to top edges of Base pieces, right sides together. Press seams open. See Tips.
- 4. Mark center of top edge on one Shell piece on right side of fabric. Base raw ends of ties to right side of Shell on either side of center mark with their seams toward center. Use scant 1/4" seam allowance.
- 5. Open zipper halfway. With machine zipper foot installed on right-hand side of needle, sew top edge of Shell piece to zipper tape, right sides together. Seam should be 1/8"-1/4" from zipper teeth. (Note: When seam reaches zipper toggle, lift machine foot, slide toggle underneath to close zipper, lower foot, and continue sewing until end of seam.) Repeat with second Shell piece.
- 6. With right side of Lining against wrong side/inside of zipper tape, sew top edge of each Lining piece to zipper. These seams should be farther from zipper teeth than Shell seams. Fold each Lining piece away from zipper and top stitch seam to keep Lining out of zipper during use.
- 7. Sew both Shell layers, right sides together, along the slanted corners on either end of zipper. Top end of seam should be snug against zipper; double check positioning by turning corner right side out. If any part of zipper tape is poking out beyond length of teeth, seam needs to be nudged in tighter. Repeat step with Lining.
- 8. Open zipper almost fully. Sew Lining layers together around remaining three sides, leaving 4" gap in bottom edge. Sew left and right sides of Shell-Base layers right sides together, beginning at top and sewing toward Base. Sew across bottom, maintaining gentle tension on leather. See Tips. Clip corners and press seams open.
- 9. Press bottom corners of Lining pieces as shown, lining up seams exactly. Draw line across each corner at 2" width; sew along these lines, backstitching at both ends of seam. Cut off corners to box, leaving 1/2" allowance outside seams. Clip into corners and press seams open.
- 10. Turn clutch right side out through gap in lining; topstitch gap closed with 1/8" seam. Tuck boxed Lining corners snugly into Shell corners.
- 1. Working with leather shouldn't be intimidating! Place scrap cotton between iron and leather. Test iron settings on scrap leather before pressing project pieces. When sewing leather to cotton, make cotton the uppermost layer to prevent sewing machine foot from stretching leather. When sewing two layers of leather together, pull gently and consistently on lower layer to match any expansion in top layer. Both pieces should retract together when loose. Pinholes and needle punctures are permanent. Pin within seam allowance or forego pinning entirely.
- 1. Wash, dry, and iron quilting cotton before beginning project. Unless otherwise noted, sew all seams with 1/2" seam allowance (included in templates).