Bright Blooms Kitchen Set
size: towel, 27"x17"; potholder, 7"x7"
- Towel fabrics: green floral, 18-1/4”x 18-1/2”; green mottled, 18-1/2”x6”; llilac floral, 18-1/2”x4-1/2”; plain lining, 19-3/4”x29-3/4”
- Potholder fabrics: green floral for binding; green mottled, 3-3/4”x7”; lilac floral, 2”x7”, two; plain backing, 8”x8”; heatproof wadding, 8”x8”
- Buttons: medium lilac, seven; small green, five; large green
- Medium lilac rickrack
- Cream bias tape, 1”-wide
- Embroidery floss: variegated purple, dark purple
- Flower stamps: large, medium, small
- Sewing machine and thread
- Embroidery needle
- Ranger Jet Black Archival Ink Pad
- Tsukineko/Imagine Crafts Erasable Fabric Ink Pad or erasable fabric pen with broad tip
- Fray stopper
- scissors, straight pins, measuring tape, acrylic block
- 1. Sew 18-1/2" rickrack length to one long edge of green floral panel. With right sides together, machine-sew green floral to green mottled panel along longest side, encasing half of rickrack width inside seam. Machine-sew long side of lilac floral panel to bottom of towel.
- 2. Stamp three large and two medium flowers across green mottled panel using soluble fabric ink. (Note: If using erasable fabric marker, apply ink to stamped image by tracing over raised areas on stamp using marker.) Embroider outlines of stamps using two strands of floss. Chain stitch main flower outlines using variegated floss on large flowers and deep purple floss on small flowers. Backstitch any details, such as lines on petals. Hand-sew buttons to flower centers.
- 3. Make "label" by cutting 3-1/4" length of tape; fold in half. Stamp small design using Jet Black ink. Pin in place at towel edge where green mottled and lilac floral panels meet; machine-sew to secure.
- 4. Remove water soluble ink marks following manufacturer's instructions; press towel. Position towel with right side down on lining fabric panel. Machine-sew around edges leaving small gap for turning. Trim lining to match towel size; turn right side out through opening. Slip stitch opening closed. Machine topstitch 1/4" from edges around all sides. Machine topstitch along seams dividing panels.
- 1. Machine-sew 7-1/4" rickrack length to one long edge of green panel. With right sides together, machine-sew green panel to one lilac floral panel along longest side, encasing half of rickrack width inside seam. Machine-sew long side of other lilac floral panel to bottom of green panel.
- 2. Stamp and embroider flower using previous method. Remove water soluble ink following manufacturer's instructions. Press stitched panel.
- 3. With right sides facing out, layer lining panel, then wadding panel, and stitched panel. Pin in place. Machine quilt through all three layers, sewing along both sides of sewn seams. Complete flower with outline quilting. Hand-sew button to flower center through all three layers.
- 4. Cut 1-3/4"x1-3/4" cream tape square; apply fray stopper onto ends. Stamp design on cream square using Jet Black ink; let dry. Machine-sew square to potholder on bottom right corner.
- 5. Cut 1-1/4" strips on diagonal from green floral fabric. Cut enough lengths for entire 35-1/2" border length. Join individual strips to make one continuous length.
- 6. Fold strip in half lengthwise; press into place. Fold raw edges in toward center fold; press again. Hand-sew binding around edges of potholder.
- 7. Make loop with binding at top center; sew layered purple and green buttons at base.
- 1. When choosing stamp images to embroider, pick a design that doesn't have fine details or shading. Test print potential designs by stamping on scrap fabric.