Baby's Rag Quilt
Baby's Rag Quilt
- Flannel fabric: blue floral, 1-3/4 yds.; pink dot, 1/3 yd.; mint dot, 1/3 yd.; pink plaid, 1/3 yd.; yellow plaid, 1/3 yd.; yellow dot, 1/3 yd.
- Sewing machine with matching thread
- scissors, straight pins, rotary cutter with cutting mat, iron and pressing surface
- 1. Prewash fabrics; press. For quilt front, cut six 3"x43" panels from blue floral; two 5"x43" panels each from pink plaid, yellow plaid, and mint dot; one 3"x43" panel from pink dot. For quilt back, cut from blue floral: seven 5"x43" and six 3"x43" panels. For binding, cut four 2-1/2"x44" strips from yellow dot.
- 2. With wrong sides together, machine-sew front panels to matching back panels lengthwise down center. Position quilt pieces on clean surface following Layout Diagram.
- 3. With wrong sides together, machine-sew quilt strips using 1/4" seam allowance following Layout Diagram. Raw edges of seams will show on front side of quilt. After stitching strips together, cut raw seams every 1/4". Avoid cutting sewn seams. Trim outer edges of quilt.
- 4. Machine-sew short ends of yellow binding strips together; press in half lengthwise. Beginning in center of one side and leaving 6" of binding free, machine-sew binding to quilt with right sides and raw edges together. Continue stitching along side, stopping 1/4" from corner.
- 5. Remove quilt from machine. Fold binding straight up at 45° angle. Hold in place and fold straight back down on other side and pin. Machine-sew 1/4" from edge until reaching other corner. Repeat process for all corners, stopping about 6" from binding starting point.
- 6. Remove quilt from machine. Open binding and measure, right sides together, and pin. Machine-sew binding; refold in half lengthwise. Pin raw edges to raw edges of quilt; continue sewing. Bring folded edge around back of quilt and miter corners; hand-sew into place.
- 7. Wash and dry quilt. Trim any visible strings.
- 1. Use any number of fabric patterns or color combinations to make this quilt uniquely your own design.