Zig Zag Zoo Pillow & Bib
Sweet Chic Design (www.sweetchicdesign.com)
Create this adorable Panda Pillow & Tiger Bib to complement the Zig Zag Zoo Organizer featured in our Fall 2015 issue of Craft Ideas! (pillow, 15"x15"; bib, 10"x14")
Zig Zag Zoo Bib & Pillow
- Sew Sweet Chic Zig Zag Zoo Fabric: Panda Square; Tiger Head Motif; Dot Fabric, 3/8 yd.; assorted print squares, 3-1/2”x3-1/2”, 16
- Backing fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Contrasting-print binding strips, 1-1/2”
- Cotton batting, 12”x16”
- Polyester fiberfill
- Sewing machine and thread
- Embroidery needle and thread
- Lightweight paper-backed fusible webbing
- VELCRO Brand Square, 1”
- straight pins, scissors, iron and pressing surface, rotary cutter, cutting mat, transparent grid-lined ruler
Pattern - Zig Zag Zoo Bib
- 1. Cut panda square from pre-printed fabric panel. Trim edges to 9-1/2"x9-1/2".
- 2. Machine-sew three 3-1/2"x3-1/2" print squares together to form two rows using 1/4" seam allowance. Press seams; machine-sew each row of three squares onto top and bottom of panda square. Press seams.
- 3. Machine-sew five 3-1/2"x3-1/2" squares together to form two rows using 1/4" seam allowance. Press seams; sew each row of five squares onto sides of panda square. Press seams.
- 4. Cut backing to same size (15-1/2"x15-1/2") as front of pillow. With wrong sides facing, machine-sew front and back together using 1/2" seam allowance, leaving opening on bottom edge. Clip corners; turn right side out. Press.
- 5. Stuff pillow firmly with fiberfill; slipstitch opening closed using needle and thread.
- 1. Print out full-size patterns. Transfer bib outline onto dot fabric and cotton batting. Cut out pattern.
- 2. Cut out tiger motif from pre-printed panel with 1/2" border on all sides.
- 3. Cut fusible webbing to same size as tiger motif. Following manufacturer's instructions, iron fusible webbing with paper side up onto wrong side of tiger motif. Cut out tiger close to printed outline. Remove paper backing; fuse tiger onto center of bib using iron.
- 4. Machine-sew around edges of tiger using zigzag stitch, satin stitch, or other decorative stitch.
- 5. Sandwich batting between bib pieces with wrong sides facing; pin edges.
- 6. For binding, cut two 1-1/2"-wide strips along bias of print fabric. Machine-sew strips together on short ends creating one continuous strip. Trim excess fabric leaving 1/4" seam allowance; press seams open. Press binding strip in half lengthwise with wrong sides together. Baste bias binding to right side of bib with raw edges even; turn in one end overlapping other and machine-sew in place around edges of bib. Trim ends.
- 7. Machine-sew VELCRO square to neck closure on bib.