Zig Zag Zoo Organizer
Sweet Chic Design
Zig Zag Zoo Organizer
- Sew Sweet Chic: Pre-printed Fabric Panel, 1 yd.; Tossed Animal Fabric, 3/8 yd.; Decorative Stripe Fabric, 7/8 yd.; Dot Fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Contrasting-print fabric, strips: pocket binding, 2-1/2”x12”, two, 2-1/2”x23-1/2”, one; ties, 3"x36", three
- Lightweight paper-backed fusible webbing
- Backing fabric, 7/8 yd.
- Cotton batting, 7/8 yd.
- Sewing machine, needle, and coordinating thread
- straight pins, iron and pressing surface, scissors, rotary cutter and cutting mat, grid-lined ruler
- 1. Cut fabric panels as follows: two 12"x12" dot; two 12"x12" and one 10"x23-1/2" stripe; two 8"x12" animal (for top and center pockets); two 7"x8-1/4" and one 7"x8" animal (for lower pockets); two 2-1/2"x12" and one 2-1/2"x23-1/2" contrasting-print (for pocket binding).
- 2. Cut animal motifs of choice from pre-printed panel, 1/2" larger than actual motif on all sides; press. (Note: Project uses 10"x10" koala square, 10"x10" penguin square, and 4-1/2"x5-1/4" lion head. Final size of koala and penguin squares after edges are trimmed is approximately 9-1/2"x9-1/2".)
- 3. Cut fusible webbing same-size as animal cut-outs. Following manufacturer's instructions, iron fusible webbing with paper side up onto wrong side of animal cut-outs.
- 4. Cut appliqué blocks around outside edges. Square up koala and penguin blocks to measure 9-1/2"x9-1/2".
- 5. Remove paper backing; fuse koala and penguin onto center of 12"x12" dot squares and lion head onto center of dot pocket. Machine-sew around outer edges of blocks using zigzag stitch or decorative stitch of choice.
- 6. Machine-sew bottom pockets together using 1/4" seam allowance along 7" sides with lion pocket in center and 7"x8-1/4" pocket on each side. Press seams.
- 7. For pocket binding, fold each long edge of three 2-1/2"-wide fabric strips with wrong sides together; press. Open and press each long edge to crease. Fold in half; press. Fold binding over top edge of each pocket piece. Stitch close to edge.
- 8. For bottom pockets, pin sewn pocket strip right side up to lower edge of 10"x23-1/2" panel aligning raw edges. Baste stitch on sides and bottom edges. Machine topstitch along two center seams forming three pockets.
- 9. For top and center pockets, pin 8"x12" panels right sides up to lower edge of 12"x12" square aligning raw edges. Baste stitch sides and bottom edges. Machine topstitch through center to form two pockets.
- 10. Refer to photo to machine-sew blocks and pocket squares together to form two rows using 1/4" seam allowance. Reverse placement of squares on each row so facing opposite sides; press. Machine-sew two rows together. Machine-sew three pockets onto bottom.
- 11. Cut three 3"x36" strips of contrasting-print fabric for ties. Fold each strip in half right sides together with raw edges even; machine-sew leaving opening for turning. Clip corners, turn right side out, and press. Fold in seam allowance; machine-sew opening closed. Fold each tie in half with ends even. Baste stitch ties, evenly spaced, to top of organizer.
- 12. Cut backing fabric and batting same-size as pocketed organizer. Layer front and back pieces with right sides together on top of batting; pin. Machine-sew using 1/4" seam allowance, leaving opening for turning. Turn right side out through opening; press. Machine-sew opening closed. To finish, machine topstitch around outside edges.