Burlap-Wrapped Wreath & Cone Topiary
The Dow Chemical Co
size: wreath, 12"x12"; cone, 3-7/8"x8-7/8"
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam: Sheet, 12”x12”x1”; Cone, 3-7/8”x8-7/8”
- Burlap fabric: natural, orange
- Paper: orange print, kraft, recycled book pages
- Thick ribbon: natural mesh, orange striped
- Jute cording
- Assorted buttons
- Flower punches
- Floral wire and tape
- Adhesives: double-sided tape, glue gun and sticks
- ruler, sharp pencil, serrated knife, old candle or bar of soap, straight pins, wire cutters, scissors
- 1. Score 8"x8" square in center of 12" foam square using ruler and sharp pencil. Wax knife blade with old candle or bar of soap. Cut out square, creating wreath shape.
- 2. Cut natural burlap into 1-1/2"-wide strips. Wrap strips around wreath covering surface completely; secure using double-sided tape and straight pins.
- 3. Make five orange burlap roses in assorted sizes. To make rose, cut 6"-wide strip of orange burlap fabric measuring 24" long. Fold strip in half lengthwise. Beginning on one end, roll strip into circle, creating rose shape; adhere ends using glue gun. For smaller flowers, decrease strip length.
- 4. Cut free-form leaves in various sizes from book pages and kraft paper.
- 5. Punch out four flowers from orange paper and four flowers from book pages. Layer flowers together, alternating colors, with button on center. Use floral wire to secure flower layers together by folding wire into "u" shape and inserting ends through button holes and paper layers. Twist wire tightly against bottom of flower. Wrap wire ends with floral tape.
- 6. Adhere mesh ribbon across bottom of wreath at angle using glue gun. Adhere burlap roses, paper leaves, and layered paper flowers across mesh using glue gun.
- 7. Measure and cut 18" length of orange striped ribbon. Loop ribbon around top of wreath; knot ends together.
- 1. Wrap cone with jute cording; adhere ends using double-sided tape and glue gun.
- 2. Make three orange burlap roses in assorted sizes following Step 3, free-form leaves following Step 4, and layered paper flowers following Step 5 under wreath instructions.
- 3. Adhere mesh ribbon across bottom of cone at angle using glue gun. Adhere burlap roses, paper leaves, and layered paper flowers to side of cone using glue gun.