Pattern - Quilted Placemat With Wreath-appliqued Pocket
- 1. Following Fig. 1, sew red and green strips together in two rows of eight and two rows of seven, alternating colors. (Note: Squares with dots are green). Sew rows of eight squares to top and bottom of neutral rectangle. Sew rows of seven squares to sides of neutral rectangle.
- 2. Cut a 14-1/2"x20-1/2" rectangle from green fabric and batting. Sandwich batting between green fabric and pieced fabric rectangles with right sides facing out. Baste around rectangles close to edges.
- 3. For binding, cut the following strips from green fabric: two 20-1/2" and two 15-1/2". Sew 20-1/2" strips to front of long sides of placemat, 1/2" from edges. Turn strips over 1/2" toward back and then turn over 1/2" again. Hand sew turned edges to back of placemat along binding stitching.
- 4. Sew 15-1/2" green strips to sides of placemat the same as top and bottom, except ends of strips will extend 1/2" beyond placemat. Turn strip ends toward inside of binding before stitching.
- 5. Sew around edge of neutral rectangle on placemat, going through all layers.
- 6. For pocket, sew 5" red squares together, leaving 3" open at bottom. Trim corners. Turn pocket right side out. Hand sew opening closed. Print and cut out pattern. Cut wreath shape from green fabric backed with Steam-A-Seam sticky back (cut out center circle). Follow manufacturer's instructions to adhere wreath to center of pocket. Feather stitch around inside and outside edges of wreath. Tie ribbon bow and sew to center bottom of wreath.
- 7. Pin pocket to neutral rectangle 1/4" from bottom left corner. Single feather stitch around pocket close to side and bottom edges.
- 8. For napkin, cut 19" square from green fabric. Turn edges of square over 1/4" to wrong side. Turn edges over 1/4" to wrong side again. Sew close to turned edges. Fold napkin and place in pocket on placemat.
- 1. Sew all seams with right sides together, using 1/4" seam allowance, pinning and pressing as needed.