Family Memories Quilt
Family Memories Quilt
Hanging On Wall
- Cotton fabric, 1-1/2 yd. each: black; khaki; maroon
- Cotton batting, 1-1/2 yd. (Fairfield)
- Black 3 grosgrain ribbon, 5/8” (Offray)
- Scrap Essentials silver heart brads, 24 (Jo-Ann)
- Cotton Inkjet Printing Paper (Jacquard)
- Family photos, 12
- Transparent quilter’s rulers (Omnigrid)
- Rotary cutter (Fiskars)
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Sewing needle
- Computer, scanner, and printer
- 1. Scan photos; change to black and white and size to 3"x5". Print on Cotton Inkjet paper; cut out.
- 2. For quilt front, cut 42"x53" piece from khaki fabric. Arrange photos on fabric as shown; tightly pin in place. (Note: The corner photos should be 3" in from edges and all other photos should be spaced 2" apart.)
- 3. Cut 24 12" ribbon lengths. Starting in top left corner of photo, leaving 1" extended above, pin ribbon length down left edge. Fold ribbon over at bottom left corner and pin along the bottom edge. Starting in top left corner of photo, leaving 1" extended to left, pin another ribbon length across top edge. Fold ribbon down at top right corner and pin along right edge. Sew ribbon in place, making sure to catch photo edges underneath. Repeat for remaining 11 photos.
- 4. From maroon fabric, cut two 4"x59" and two 4"x43" strips. Pin short strips to top and bottom of quilt front; sew. Pin long strips to sides; sew.
- 5. For quilt back, cut 42"x53" rectangle from black fabric. From maroon fabric, cut two 4"x59" and two 4"x43" strips. Pin short strips to top and bottom of quilt back; sew. Pin long strips to sides; sew.
- 6. Cut 47"x58" rectangle from batting. Lay quilt front, face up, on batting; pin. Attach brads to upper left and lower right corners of photos, making sure to go through all layers: ribbon, fabric, and batting. With right sides of fabric facing, lay quilt back onto quilt front. Sew around, leaving 12" opening at bottom for turning. Trim corners at angle; turn right side out. Fold in seam allowance at opening; hand sew closed.
- 1. Sew with right sides of fabric, using 1/2" seam allowance unless otherwise noted.