Vintage Needle-Felted Snowman Centerpiece
The Dow Chemical Co.
size: 10" tall
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam*: block, 4”x4”x4”; balls: 1”, 3-1/2”; cone, 3”
- Wool roving: orange; natural
- Cream cardstock
- Decorative paper, 12”x12”
- Seasonal Celebrations Seasons & Holidays book: snowman image or favorite vintage image
- Lace, 1”, 18” length
- Cream organza ribbon, 1-1/2”, 1 yd.
- Mother-of-pearl buttons, 3/8” two
- Silver decorative tinsel
- Corsage pins, seven
- Pink ultra-fine glitter
- Needle Felting Tool or Needle Felting Needles
- Black acrylic paint
- Stickles Diamond Glitter Glue
- Pink cosmetic blush and cotton-tip swab
- Scallop-edge scissors
- Cream sewing thread
- Sewing needle
- Paper glue
- 1. Cut 4"x12" strips from decorative paper. Wrap and glue paper strips around STYROFOAM block, covering completely.
- 2. Mat snowman image on cream cardstock; use scallop-edge scissors to trim around design, leaving 1/4" border.
- 3. Glue matted snowman to front of paper-covered block and one button to each side of image.
- 4. Needle felt natural wool roving onto STYROFOAM ball. Apply glue to toothpick end; insert in needle felted ball. Apply glue to remaining toothpick end; insert in center top of paper-covered block.
- 5. Apply craft glue to STYROFOAM cone and 1" ball. Apply pink glitter to wet glue; let dry.
- 6. Hand gather one edge of ribbon length with needle and button thread. Place gathered ribbon around neck of snowman; pull gathers and knot.
- 7. For nose, wrap and glue small amounts of orange wool roving around round toothpick. Insert remaining toothpick end in face. For eyes and mouth, paint or dip corsage pins with black paint. Let dry. Insert pins into face as shown. Use cotton-tip swab to apply blush to cheeks.
- 8. For hat, use toothpick to attach glittered ball to top of cone. Attach cone with ball to top of snowman's head. Glue tinsel around brim.
- 9. Use glitter glue to outline image.
- Tips For Needle Felting On STYROFOAM®
- 1. Needle felting is quick and easy. It requires a special felting needle that has extremely sharp barbs along the needle. The higher the needle number, the finer the needle, which leaves a smaller hole in the design.
- 2. Place wool roving onto STYROFOAM. When needle is pushed into STYROFOAM, the barbs pull the wool roving locking them together in place. As a result, no glue is needed.