Vintage Doily Quilt
- Assorted white/off-white doilies up to 12” across, 24
- Cotton different print fabrics, 12-1/2” squares, 24
- White/off-white muslin, at least 54”-wide, 2-1/4 yds.
- White assorted flat buttons, 7/8” to 1”, 15
- White/off-white flat Battenburg or crocheted lace, 1”, 7-1/4 yds.
- Warm & White needled cotton batting
- White/off-white sewing thread
- Sewing needle
- Straight pins
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. Pin doilies to center of 12-1/2" fabric squares. Hand sew doilies to fabric around edges and inside doilies as needed.
- 2. Sew fabric squares together in six rows with four squares in each row. Sew rows together to make a 48-1/2"x72-1/2" quilt top (four squares across and six squares down).
- 3. Sew lace 1/4" from edge of quilt, beginning and ending in a corner. (Note: Make several gathers in lace as you work around each of the corners so lace lies flat at corner.) Sew ends of lace together at corner.
- 4. Working on a large flat surface (floor may be used), place batting on surface first, then muslin on top of batting, and finally pieced doily squares on top of muslin (right side of pieced fabric squares should be facing muslin). Trim muslin and batting even with edges of pieced fabric squares. Pin around edges of stacked fabrics and batting. Sew fabrics and batting together along lace stitching, leaving 12" open for turning along one side. Trim seam at corners. Turn quilt right side out through opening. Hand sew opening closed.
- 5. Lay assembled qu8ilt on large flat work surface. Sew buttons securely to inside corners of squares through all layers with thread.
- 1. Sew fabrics together with right sides facing, using a 1/4" seam allowance, pinning and pressing as needed.