Sewn Dishtowel Apron
- Dish towel
- Ribbon, 3/4”-wide, 3 yds.
- Fabric, 11”x4-1/2”
- Embellishments: gathered lace, 5” length; pom-pom trim, 16” length; crocheted flower; button
- Sewing machine and thread
- scissors, straight pins, sewing needle, iron and pressing surface, ruler or measuring tape
- 1. Cut from ribbon: two 2-1/2" lengths (loop) and two 51-1/2" lengths (straps). Make loops with ribbon lengths by folding in half; machine-sew 1/4" from raw edge. Turn loop bringing raw edge to inside. Press flat along seamed edge; machine-sew 1/4" from pressed edge, encasing raw edges into French seam. Hem one end of each ribbon strap by folding over 1/2", then another 1/2". Machine-sew along first folded edge securing to strap.
- 2. Fold dishtowel in half lengthwise to ensure apron is symmetrical. Mark location of angled fold, placement of ribbon, and pocket. Pin ribbon loops and straps in place. Fold along angled marked line; pin.
- 3. Machine-sew ribbons in place. Following angled fold, machine-sew 1/2" from edge. Machine-sew along loose edge of folded flap.
- 4. Prepare pocket by pinning lace trim 1/2" from edge centered along long edge of fabric. Baste trim in place. Fold pocket lengthwise, matching facing sides of short edges; pin. Machine-sew together with 1/2" seam leaving 2" opening for turning. Press seam open.
- 5. Position pocket flat with freshly-sewn seam placed at center. Machine-sew 1/2" from top and bottom edges. Trim fabric at corners. Turn pocket right side out through opening in center back seam. Press. Hand-sew opening closed.
- 6. Machine-sew pocket lines across front of pocket 3/4" from ruffled lace edge. Pin pocket in place on apron front. Machine-sew along pocket bottom and sides.
- 7. Machine-sew pom-pom trim to bottom edge of apron front. Hand-sew crocheted flower and button to apron.
- 1. Depending on the size of your dishtowel, you may need to adjust measurements. As long as the sides are symmetrical, you should be able to use instructions above when constructing.