Romantic Keepsake Quilt
- Home decorator fabrics, 45” or 54”: solid red, 1/4 yd.; quilted neutral, 3/8 yd.; large floral print, 3/8 yd.; coordinating fabric (backing), 5/8 yd.
- Red embroidery floss, 2 skeins
- White pearl buttons, 1”, four
- Keepsakes and photos of choice
- Warm & White needled cotton batting
- White sewing thread
- Sewing needle
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Lucite ruler
- Straight pins
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. From red fabric, cut sixteen 3"x3-1/2" rectangles. From floral print, cut twelve 1-1/2"x3-1/2" strips, five 1-1/2"x13-1/2" strips, two 1-1/2"x17-1/2" strips, and four 3" squares. From quilted fabric, cut two 3"x15-1/2" strips and two 3"x17-1/2" strips.
- 2. Following quilt diagram (Fig. 1), sew 3-1/2" flower strips to long sides of red rectangles, making four rows with four red rectangles and three flower strips on each row. Sew 13-1/2" flower strips horizontally between, above and below assembled rows of red rectangles. Sew 17-1/2" flower strips to sides of assembled rows. Sew 17-1/2" quilted strips to sides of assembled strips. Sew flower squares to ends of 15-1/2" quilted strips, then sew strips across top and bottom of assembled rows. Quilt top is complete.
- 3. Use three strands floss to feather stitch across center of flower strips.
- 4. Cut 20-1/2"x22-1/2" rectangle from batting and backing fabric. Baste batting to back of quilt top. Sew quilt back to quilt top with right sides together, 1/4" from edges, leaving 6" opening on one side for turning. Trim corners. Turn right side out through opening. Hand sew opening closed.
- 5. Use three strands floss to feather stitch around edges of quilt front. Use floss to sew buttons to center of corner squares.
- 6. Pin or sew keepsakes and photos to red rectangles.
- 7. To hang quilt, pin 18" grosgrain ribbon length across top back of quilt, centering it from side to side. (Note: Use any color ribbon since it won't show from front.) Hand sew long ribbon edges to quilt, leaving short ends open. Insert 19" narrow dowel through casing. Hammer two nails 18" apart at desired placement on wall. Hang dowel ends on nails.
- 1. Sew all seams with right sides together, using a 1/4" seam allowances, pinning and pressing as needed.