Pretty Patchwork Apron
- Assorted lightweight cotton fabrics, 5-1/2” squares, 40
- Cotton muslin, 5/8 yd.
- Coordinating grosgrain ribbon, 1”, 96” length
- Coordinating piping, 22” length
- Wide non-roll elastic, 3/4”, 19” length
- Sewing machine and coordinating thread
- Straight pins
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. Use Fig. 1 to arrange 38 5-1/2" squares on work surface. (Note: Remaining two squares will be used for pocket.) Sew squares together in rows (divided by bold lines on Fig. 1), then sew rows together.
- 2. Trim edges of assembled squares to make a rectangle, following dashed lines on Fig. 1.
- 3. Cut rectangle from muslin to same size as pieced fabric rectangle. Sew muslin and pieced rectangles together, leaving 5" opening along one side for turning. Trim seam at corners. Turn right side out through opening. Hand sew opening closed.
- 4. For pocket, sew piping around one 5-1/2" square, 1/4" from edge, overlapping ends in a corner. Sew square with piping to remaining 5-1/2" square, leaving 3" opening along one side for turning. Trim seam at corners. Turn pocket right side out through opening. Hand sew opening closed. Pin pocket to assembled apron squares, following dotted lines on diagram. Sew pocket to apron around side and bottom edges of fabric square.
- 5. For waistband, pin ribbon across top of apron with ends extending evenly at sides. Sew close to finished edges of ribbon, leaving an opening at both sides of apron for inserting elastic. Insert elastic through ribbon casing on apron. (Note: Use straight pins to secure elastic ends to apron sides until they are stitched.) Machine stitch over elastic on both sides of apron.
- 6. Sew fabrics together with right sides facing, using a 1/4" seam allowance, pinning and pressing as needed.