Pattern - Needle-Felted Santa
Pattern - Needle-Felted Stocking
- 1. Print and cut out patterns. Enlarge stocking pattern to 400%. Cut two stocking shapes from green felt.
- 2. To needle felt Santa, pull of small piece of red wool roving. Twist strands slightly so edges are smooth, and place on one felt stocking to form outline of hat shape, punching with needle tool until shape lies flat. (Note: Top of Santa should be 4" down from top of stocking.) Continue adding wool roving to fill in hat shape.
- 3. In same way as Step 2, needle felt the following: robe with red wool roving; face with flesh wool roving; hat brim, beard, and bottom of robe and sleeves with white wool roving; gloves and boots with black wool roving; toy sack with gold wool roving, shading it with yellow. Add small amount of pink wool roving to Santa's cheeks. Twist a small amount of white wool robbing for mustache and tack at center and ends.
- 4. For hat pom-pom, pull off small amount of white wool roving, wet with water, and roll into 1/2" ball. Glue ball to tip of hat. For nose, make 3/8" ball in same way and glue above mustache. Add small amount of pink wool roving to center of nose.
- 5. Use black thread and pattern to sew beads to Santa. Use black pearl cotton to sew several stitches across top of bag and tie ends into bow. Use one strand black pearl cotton to stem stitch lines between arms and body.
- 6. Glue assorted ribbon lengths angled across stocking above and below Santa, alternating colors and trimming ends even with edge of stocking. Use three strands of red floss to feather stitch across green ribbons and green floss to feather stitch across red ribbons.
- 7. Use three strands of red floss to blanket stitch across top of stocking shapes. Use three stands of green floss to blanket stitch across top of stocking shapes in between red stitches with green loops going around edge of stocking. Pin stocking shapes together with right sides facing out; blanket stitch around side and bottom edges in same way as top to join pieces.
- 8. For hanger, use three strands green floss to feather stitch across 7" red ribbon length. Tie dot ribbon bow. Sew hanger ends and bow center to top left side of stocking.
- Needle Felting Tips
- 1. Photocopy Santa pattern. Cut out hat and robe shapes from pattern; tape to stocking.
- 2. Work red wool roving in cut-out areas of pattern.
- 3. Cut out face from pattern; tape to stocking and work flesh wool roving into cut-out area. Continue cutting out shapes from pattern and work wool roving into cut-outs until all areas have been needle felted.