Needle-Felted Pet Ornaments
- Wool felt: green; red
- Wool roving, small amounts: yellow/gold; reddish brown; dk. brown; bright orange; burnt orange; bright pink
- Black beads: seed, 10/0, six; round, 6mm, four
- Gold jingle bells, 5/16”, two
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss: yellow/gold; green; red; black
- Black pearl cotton
- Needles: felting; embroidery
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Large needle felting mat
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- 1. Cut two 3-1/4" circles from red felt. Place one circle on needle felting mat.
- 2. Pull off small piece of yellow/gold wool roving. Twist strands slightly so edges are smooth, loop into 2" circle, and place in center of felt circle. Fill circle with additional wool roving as needed and punch with needle tool until shape lies flat.
- 3. Needle felt oval-shaped ears with dk. brown and nose with reddish brown.
- 4. Sand two 6mm black beads for a worn look. Use one strand of pearl cotton to sew beads to face, muzzle line under nose, and seed beads symmetrically to both sides of muzzle (three on each side).
- 5. Tie six-strands of green floss into bow; trim ends. Use pearl cotton to sew jingle bell to bow center at bottom of head.
- 6. Pin felt circles together with right sides facing out. Blanket stitch around circle edges, stuffing between layers, before stitching is complete.
- 7. For hanger, thread large-eyed needle with 10" length of six-stranded yellow/gold floss. Insert needle through center top of ornament. Remove needle; knot ends.
- 1. Cut two 3-1/4" circles from green felt. Place one felt circle on needle felting mat.
- 2. Pull off small piece of orange wool roving; needle felt 2" circle on green felt circle in same way as Dog.
- 3. Needle felt triangle ear shapes to top of head with bright orange, round nose with bright pink, and symmetrical stripes with burnt orange.
- 4. Sand and sew beads to face in same way as Dog. Use one strand pearl cotton to sew muzzle line under nose and three sets of whisker lines symmetrically to face.
- 5. Tie six strands of red floss into bow; trim ends. Use pearl cotton to sew jingle bell to bow center at bottom of head.
- 6. Follow Steps 6 and 7 from Dog Ornament to finish.