Needle-Felted Gift Elf Centerpiece
The Dow Chemical Co.
size: 17-1/2" tall
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam*: eggs, 1-7/8”x2-1/2”, 2-5/16”x3-1/16”; balls: 1-1/2”, two; 2”; blocks, 3”, three
- Brilliant Brights wool roving: Natural, 1/4 oz.; 1/2 oz. wisps: Green Apple; Pink Hibiscus; Chile Pepper
- Fabric: green dot, 9” square; stripe, 12-1/2”x14-1/2”; blue dot, 9-1/2”x12-1/2”
- Wooden dowel, 1/4”, 4” lengths, two
- Pink pom-pom, 2”
- White acrylic fur, 3/4”x6”
- Holiday ribbon, 1-1/2”, 2 yds.
- White snowflake brads, two
- Needle Felting Needles
- Needle felting mat or foam pad
- Sewing needle and thread
- Cotton balls or small amount of fiberfill stuffing
- Craft knife
- Needle, 3”
- Fabric glue
- 1. For body, cut slice from narrow end of large egg. For head, cut slice from one side of large ball. For feet, cut remaining egg in half and in half again. For mittens, gently flatten small balls by pressing on hard surface. Cut one block in half.
- 2. Needle felt the following: feet and mittens Green Apple; body Pink Hibiscus; head Natural. (Note: If there are any thin places, add more wool.)
- 3. Cut 3-1/2"x9" rectangle (arms) and 5"x8" rectangle (hat) from green dot fabric. For legs, cut two 2"x4" rectangles from end of green stripe fabric. Trim excess from end of green stripe fabric to create a straight edge.
- 4. With right sides together, fold hat fabric in half; glue along seam. Sew along seam; turn right side out. Lightly stuff hat. Place on head pulling down halfway.
- 5. Use pencil to lightly draw smile. Remove hat. Needle felt thin strip of Pink Hibiscus wool to smile. Needle felt Chile Pepper nose to face. Glue hat to head. Glue fur trim to hat.
- 6. Fold arm fabric under 1/2" on either short end; glue. Overlap long sides and glue. Tie thread around center of arm piece. Insert mittens into either end of arm piece; glue.
- 7. Insert toothpick halfway into head bottom. Glue and insert remaining toothpick end in top of body. Glue center of arm piece to back of egg. Insert and glue snowflake brads into front of body. Wrap and glue dowels with green stripe fabric. For legs, glue and insert dowels 1/2" into feet and bells to feet. Glue and insert leg ends 1/2" into body.
- 8. For bottom package, glue 1/2 block to full block. Wrap both blocks with fabrics. Glue ribbon around each package lengthwise. Glue packages together. Glue ribbon from bottom of package through lengthwise wrapped ribbon. Insert toothpick 1/2" into feet. Place elf on top of package inserting toothpicks into package. Quick Tip: For easier storage, do not glue elf to top of package.
- 9. Glue ribbon loosely draped into mittens; trim ends.