Country Gingerbread Apron
- Solid or textured cotton fabric: lt. brown, 2 yds.; pink, 1/8 yd.
- Pink/white dot satin ribbon, 1”, 25” length
- White jumbo rick rack, 2-1/2 yds.
- Two-hole buttons, 13/16”: black, 10; white, two
- White embroidery floss
- Sewing thread: lt. brown; white
- Needles: sewing; embroidery
- Iron-on adhesive
- Sewing machine
- Straight pins
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. From brown fabric, cut rectangles as follows: two 9-3/4"x11-3/4" (bib), two 3-3/4"x71" (waistband), two 7-3/4"x9-3/4" (pocket), 17"x41" (skirt).
- 2. Sew rick rack around sides and top of one bib piece 1" from edges. For cheeks, follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse 4"x7" piece of adhesive to wrong side of pink fabric. Cut two 3" circles from fused fabric. Fuse pink circles close to side pieces of rick rack at center of bib for cheeks. Use three strands of white floss to blanket stitch around edges.
- 3. Sew bib rectangles together along side and top edges. Trim seam at corners. Turn bib right side out. Sew raw edge of bib to long side of one waistband rectangle, centering it from side to side.
- 4. Turn side and bottom edges of skirt rectangle over 3/8" toward wrong side. Fold edges over 3/8" again. Sew close to turned edges.
- 5. Sew rick rack across short side of one pocket rectangle 1" from edge. Sew pocket rectangles together, leaving 3" open at bottom for turning. Trim seam at corners. Turn pocket right side out through opening. Hand sew opening closed. Sew pocket to skirt along side and bottom edges. (Note: Pocket edges should be 4" down from top edge and 9" in from left side edge of skirt.)
- 6. Sew basting stitch 1/4" from top raw edge of skirt. Pull basting stitches to gather until length of top edge is 20". Sew gathered edge of skirt to long side of waistband rectangle opposite bib, centering it from side to side. (Note: There should be 25-1/2" remaining at sides of gathered skirt for ties.) Sew waistband rectangles together, leaving gathered edge of skirt open. Trim seam at corners. Turn waistband right side out. Turn raw edge of waistband under 3/8" and hand sew to stitching along gathered edge.
- 7. Sew black buttons to bib for eyes, nose, and mouth. Fold ends of ribbon over 1". Sew white buttons to folded ribbon ends at top sides of bib for neck strap.