Chic Autumn Poncho
- Fabric of choice, 1-1/2 yds.
- Sewing machine with matching thread
- scissors, iron and pressing surface, ruler, water soluble marker, sewing needle, straight pins
- 1. Cut 12"x27" (cowl) and 26"x52" (poncho) from fabric.
- 2. Fold cowl panel in half, with right sides together, to match both 12" sides. Machine-sew along 12" edge with 1/2" seam allowance; press seam open. Set cowl tube aside.
- 3. Fold poncho panel in half, with right sides together, to match both 26" sides. Starting from fold, machine-sew one raw edge closed. Press seam open; turn right side out.
- 4. Position poncho flat. Locate corner that is sewn closed from fold and stitched seam. Position ruler perpendicular to corner. Measure out 6-1/2", mark, and cut. See Figure 1. (Note: Opening should measure 13".)
- 5. With right sides together match one raw edge of cowl tube with raw neck opening. Align cowl tube seam with poncho seam; pin in place. Machine-sew cowl to poncho with 1/2" seam allowance; press seam. Press remaining raw edge of cowl under 1/2". Fold cowl in half toward inside neck seam. Tuck raw edge of neck seam under folded cowl edge; pin in place. Hand-sew along edges.
- 6. Press raw edges along bottom of poncho under 1/2". Fold under another 1/2"; press again. Machine-sew along bottom edge of poncho. Press well.