Pattern - Partridge In A Pear Tree Tote
- 1. Sew long edges of 2-1/2" strips together to make a 22-1/2"x34-1/2" rectangle for outside of bag.
- 2. Cut a 6-1/2"x8-1/2" rectangle from homespun and lining fabric for pocket. Print and cut out patterns.
- 3. Cut tree trunk from dark brown felt, partridge from light brown felt, and twelve leaves from green felt. Arrange felt pieces on homespun rectangle, using photo as placement guide. (Note: Bottom edge of tree trunk should be even with bottom edge of pocket, leaving room at top and sides of pocket for 1/4" seam allowance and embroidery stitches around edge.) Apply a small dab of glue under felt pieces to secure them to fabric temporarily until they are stitched. Cut lengths from jute for tree branches. Glue jute lengths to pocket, overlapping ends on pears, and tucking ends under tree trunk and leaves. Blanket stitch over tree trunk and branches. Feather stitch over top area on partridge's head. Stem stitch around partridge and pears close to edges. Make French knot on partridge's eye dot. Embroider running stitch through center of leaves.
- 4. Sew pocket front to lining, leaving a 4" opening at bottom. Trim seam at corners. Turn pocket right side out. Hand sew opening closed. Pin pocket to assembled fabric strips. (Note: Top of pocket should go through center of second strip from top, centering it from side to side.) Blanket stitch around side and bottom edges of pocket with loops going around edge of pocket.
- 5. Cut a rectangle from lining fabric the same size as assembled strip rectangle.
- 6. To finish bag front, fold assembled strips in half widthwise and sew side edges together. Flatten one corner of bag to create a triangular point, aligning side seam with bottom corner seam. Mark a 6" line perpendicular to seam 3" from point with pencil. Stitch along line (Fig. 1). Trim triangle seam at corner 1/4" from stitching.
- 7. Sew side seams and corners for lining rectangle, following Step 6, leaving 5" open in center of one side seam.
- 8. Sew bag front to lining along top edges, aligning side seams. Turn bag right side out through opening in side of lining. Sew opening closed.
- 9. For handles, cut two 6"x22" strips from fabric. Press short ends of strips over 1/4" to wrong side. Press strips in half lengthwise. Open up and press long edges of strips in toward center. Fold in half again, encasing raw edges. Sew around strips 1/8" from turned edges to finish handles. Use floss to sew buttons to ends of handles at top front and back of bag, 7" from sides.
- 1. Sew all seams with right sides together, using a 1/4" seam allowance, pinning and pressing as needed. Use three strands of floss for all embroidery.