- Cotton fabrics: black print, 1/4 yd.; natural linen, 1/4 yd.; two different green homespuns, 1/8 yd.; gold homespun scrap; coordinating (pillow back), 12-1/2”x16-1/2”
- Wool tweed (or cotton homespun), 8-1/2”x12-1/2”
- Dark brown wool felt, 1/2”x8-3/4”
- Pillow form, 12”x16”
- White two-hole buttons, 7/8”, two
- Black perle cotton, #8
- Gold embroidery floss
- Lite Steam-A-Seam for appliqué (The Warm Co.)
- Embroidery needle
- Sewing machine and black thread
Pattern - Owl Pillow
- 1. For pillow front, cut four 2-1/2"x12-1/2" strips from black fabric. Sew strips to sides of tweed rectangle, then to top and bottom of tweed rectangle.
- 2. Print and cut out patterns. Cut pieces from iron-on adhesive slightly larger than owl head/body and beak. Adhere pieces to back of linen and gold fabrics. Cut out owl and beak shapes. Adhere owl and beak shapes to pillow front. Embroider running stitches around shapes 1/8" from edges.
- 3. Pin brown wool strip to pillow front, following pattern. Sew running stitches around brown strip close to edges.
- 4. Transfer feet to pillow front under owl. Use three strands of floss to stem stitch on feet.
- 5. Cut four wings from linen. Stack shapes together in pairs. Sew around shapes 1/4" from edges. Rim seams 1/8" from stitching. Cut a vertical 1-1/2" slit in one side of each wing close to inside edge for turning. (Note: Face wings in opposite directions for left and right sides of owl before cutting slits.) Turn wings right side out. Whip stitch slits closed. Pin wings to sides of owl and sew running stitches 1/8" from inside edges. (Note: Slit side of wings is back.) Use black thread to sew eye buttons to owl above beak.
- 6. Cut six leaves from each of the green homespun fabrics. Stack same color leaves together in pairs. Sew around shapes 1/4" from edges. Trim seams 1/8" from stitching. Cut a vertical slit through center of one side of each stitched leaf. Turn leaves right side out. Whip stitch slits closed. Pin leaves along tree branch and sew running stitches through center. (Note: Slit side of leaves is back.)
- 7. Sew pillow front to back, 1/4" from edges, leaving 10" opening along one short side for turning. Trim seam at corners. Turn right side out. Insert pillow form. Hand sew opening closed.
- 1. Sew all seams with right sides together, using a 1/4" seam allowance, pinning and pressing as needed. Use one strand of perle cotton for all running stitches.