Pattern - Needle-felted Polar Bear Stocking
- 1. Print and cut out pattern. Cut two stocking shapes from red felt and six stocking top shapes from gold felt.
- 2. To needle felt polar bears on stocking shape, make a copy of polar bear pattern. Cut out face from pattern. Tape pattern to stocking shape. Work white wool roving in cut-out areas of pattern. Next cut out hat and collar shapes from pattern, tape to stocking and work blue/green wool roving into hat area, and yellow/gold into collar area. Remove paper pattern. Twist small pieces of lime green wool roving into narrow strands and work in three stripes across hat. Trim roving at edges of hat and work ends into sides of hat. Wrap blue wool roving into small circles and work into cheeks. Repeat for remaining two polar bears.
- 3. For hat pom-poms, pull off a small amount of lime green wool roving, wet with water and dishwashing liquid, and roll into a 3/8" ball. Make three. Let dry. Glue balls to tips of hats.
- 4. For noses, use white thread to sew buttons to center of faces. Use red thread to sew 3/8" jingle bells to tips of collars.
- 5. Pin stocking shapes together with right sides facing out. Blanket stitch around side and bottom edges.
- 6. Stack stocking top shapes in pairs and blanket stitch around side and bottom edges. Sew 1/2" jingle bells to tips of shapes. Pin shapes across top front of stocking and blanket stitch around top of stocking.
- 7. For hanger, fold ribbon in half, overlap ends, and stitch together 1" from ends. Sew 5/8" jingle bell to overlapped ribbon and sew to top left side of stocking.
- Needle Felting Tip
- 1. Pull off a small piece of wool roving. Twist strands slightly so edges are smooth, and place on one felt stocking shape to form outline of shape, punching with needle tool until shape lies flat. Continue adding wool roving to fill in shape.