Pattern - Easter Hot Pads
- 1. Wash muslin without fabric softener; let dry. For each hot pad, cut out two 9"x10" muslin rectangles, two 9"x10" batting rectangles, and one 6" ribbon length. Press muslin rectangles.
- 2. Print out patterns. Transfer each pattern (omitting lettering and detail lines) onto one muslin rectangle. Position plastic bag over cardboard; position muslin rectangle on plastic-covered cardboard scrap to protect work surface when painting.
- 3. Paint hot pad borders as follows: blue side: basecoat Country Blue using #12 shader, shade Blue Violet, and add Blue Violet lines using liner; green side: basecoat Sea Breeze using #12 shader, shade Desert Turquoise, and add Desert Turquoise lines using #1 liner; pink side: basecoat Carousel Pink using #12 shader, shade Royal Fuchsia, and add Royal Fuchsia lines using liner; orange side: basecoat Orange Twist using #12 shader, shade Jack-O'-Lantern, and add Jack-O'-Lantern lines using liner. Let dry.
- 4. For chick, basecoat body and head Moon Yellow using #8 shader, shade Yellow Ochre, and drybrush Sand. Basecoat beak Jack-O'-Lantern using #8 shader, highlight Orange Twist, and dot beak holes Ebony Black using liner. Use end of paintbrush handle to dot eyes Ebony Black. Drybrush cheeks Baby Pink.
- 5. For bunny, basecoat body and head Warm White using #8 shader and shade Sand. Basecoat nose Royal Fuchsia using #8 shader and highlight Carousel Pink. Use end of paintbrush handle to dot eyes Ebony Black. Drybrush cheeks Baby Pink. Line whiskers/mouth Ebony Black using liner.
- 6. Basecoat scarves Grape Juice using #8 shader, highlight Wisteria, and add Wisteria stripes using liner.
- 7. Use black permanent marker to add lettering and stitch lines. Use black fabric marker to add squiggles on background.
- 8. For each hot pad, position painted front right side up on table, with batting and looped ribbon between, and back muslin piece on top. Pin around edges, leaving 1/2" seam allowance. Use needle and thread to hand-sew around edges, leaving opening along bottom edge. Turn right side out. Sew opening closed.
- 9. Attach clusters of three buttons on corners of painted design using white embroidery floss. Knot thread ends.