Damask Felt Tote Bag
size: 17"x20" (including handles)
- Kunin Felt: Legacy Black with White Flocking Fancifelt, 18”x36”, two; ClassicFelt, 9”x12”, White, Black
- Metallic clasp, 1”
- Dangle chain charm
- Decorative buttons, four
- White pearl strand, 3mm, 1/2 yd.
- Foam core board, 2”x17”
- White grosgrain ribbon, 1”-wide, 2-1/2
- Sewing machine with black thread
- Oval template, 3”
- Clip art silhouette printed on paper, 2”
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- scissors, ruler, straight pins, pencil, sewing needle, paper
- 1. Cut two 16"x18" tote panels, two 3"x26" handles, and one 5"x18" bottom from printed felt. Cut 3" oval from white felt. Using clip art as template, cut silhouette from black felt. Place oval on black felt and cut 1/8" larger oval.
- 2. Place tote panels with right sides together. Machine-sew 1/2" seam on both sides and bottom of tote pieces. Trim seam.
- 3. Finger press both bottom corners flat with seam line centered. Machine-sew diagonally across fold 1" from corner point. Trim corner points off. Turn right side out.
- 4. Fold top edge of tote over 3". Place grosgrain ribbon under raw edge, extending 1/4" past edge. Machine topstitch in place 1/4" from felt edge.
- 5. Fold handles in half lengthwise with wrong sides together. Insert ribbon under raw edges, extending 1/4"; pin in place. Machine topstitch handles. Remove pins.
- 6. Pin handles centered 6" apart on front and back of tote. Machine topstitch in place.
- 7. Fold bottom piece with wrong sides together and sew 1/4" seam along bottom; trim seam. Insert foam core board into tote; removing and trimming corners of foam core if needed.
- 8. Adhere white oval to black oval; adhere silhouette to center of white oval. Adhere pearl strand around edge of white oval.
- 9. Follow manufacturer's instructions to attach clasp to bag. Hand-sew oval cameo and dangle charm to handle. Hand-sew buttons as desired.