Beaded Vintage Shadow Box
- Vintage or new wooden shadow box, 8”x16”
- Assorted decorator and special occasion fabrics
- Click-n-Craft (The Vintage Workshop): Cotton Poplin white Fabric Sheet for inkjet printer
- Sweet Roses CD-Rom (or scan vintage flower postcard on fabric or cut flower design from patterned fabric)
- Assorted coordinating seed, rocaille, glass E, and nugget shell beads
- Assorted gold charms and silk ribbon
- Embroidery floss or perle cotton: gold; green
- Warm & Natural needled cotton batting (The Warm Co.)
- Pinking shears
- Beading thread
- Embroidery needle
- Computer and printer
- Crafter’s Pick The Ultimate! Glue (API)
- 1. Follow manufacturer's instructions to print desired size photo on printable fabric sheet. Trim photo, leaving 1/4" border. Remove backing and fold edges over 1/4" to back.
- 2. Follow manufacturer's instructions to print roses design from CD-Rom onto printable fabric sheet. Cut out design around edges. Remove backing.
- 3. For background and backing, cut two rectangles from fabric to same size as inside box dimensions. Use pinking shears to cut three smaller, different sized rectangles from remaining fabrics. Arrange and pin fabric rectangles behind photo rectangle on background rectangle, leaving space on left side and bottom for embroidery.
- 4. Use gold floss or perle cotton to blanket stitch around edge of photo rectangle, making stitches about 1/4" apart. Blanket stitch around edge of photo rectangle again, with loops pointing in opposite direction, going between previous stitching. Use gold floss or perle cotton to sew tiny running stitches around pinked rectangles and fabric roses.
- 5. Use beading thread to sew beads to details on photo, around flowers and leaves, and around fabric rectangles. Use back stitch to sew beads in a straight line. To sew nugget beads, insert threaded needle through bead, through tiny seed bead, back through nugget bead to back of fabric.
- 6. Use green floss or perle cotton to feather stitch on left side and bottom of background rectangle, and to sew beads symmetrically to fabric along feather stitches.
- 7. Tie ribbon around charm. Sew or glue charms to fabric.
- 8. Cut batting to same size as background rectangle. Sandwich batting between background and backing rectangles. Blanket stitch around outside edges of rectangles, wrapping loops around edges, to join them.
- 9. Glue assembled design inside shadow box.