size: 4", 6" and 8" tall
- Standard clay pots with saucers: 4”, 6” and 8” tall
- Click-n-Craft (The Vintage Workshop): Scrapbook Celebrations Holidays Remembered CD-Rom (or scan vintage patriotic postcards into computer and print on fabric, or cut patriotic designs from patterned fabric); White Cotton Canvas Fabric Sheet (for inkjet printer)
- Medium brown burlap, 1-1/8 yds.
- Cotton fabric scraps, three each: red/white; blue/white
- Assorted mismatched white buttons, 3/8” to 5/8”, 15
- Wooden dowels, 3/16”: 9” length; 11” length; 13” length
- Jute twine
- Embroidery floss: red; gold
- Warm & Natural needled cotton batting (The Warm Co.)
- Embroidery needle
- Crafter’s Pick The Ultimate! Glue (API)
- Computer and printer
- Sewing machine and brown thread
Pattern - Fig. 1
- Small Flowerpot
- 1. Cut 9"x15" burlap rectangle. Machine sew zigzag stitch around edges to keep them from unraveling.
- 2. Fold burlap rectangle in half widthwise and sew side seams together to make a 9"x7-1/2" sack.
- 3. Flatten one corner of sack to create a triangular point, aligning side seam with center bottom. Mark a 3" line perpendicular to seam 1-1/2" from point with marker (Fig. 1). Stitch along drown line. Trim triangle at corner 3/8" from stitching. Machine sew zigzag stitch along seam edges. Repeat for remaining corner. Turn sack right side out. Turn top of sack over 1".
- 4. Follow manufacturer's instructions to print smallest size of patriotic design on inkjet printer fabric sheet. Cut around edges of design. Remove paper backing.
- 5. Pin patriotic design to center front of sack. Use red floss to blanket stitch around design with loops going over edge. Sew small buttons to corners.
- 6. For flag, cut two 1-1/2"x2-1/2" rectangles from red fabric and one from batting. Cut a 3/4"x1" rectangle from blue fabric. Pin blue rectangle to upper left corner of red rectangle. Use gold floss to blanket stitch along bottom and right side edges of blue rectangle with loops pointing outward. Sandwich batting between red rectangles with right sides facing out. Blanket stitch around edges of red rectangles with loops pointing outward. Sew small button to blue rectangle on flag.
- 7. Sew center of 6" jute lengths to top and bottom back of flag on left side. Glue left side of flag to top of 9" dowel. Wrap jute pieces around dowel and tie into knots. Trim jute 1" past knots and unravel.
- Medium Flowerpot
- 1. Follow same basic instructions as small flowerpot, making the following changes: cut an 11-1/2"x19-1/2" rectangle from burlap; mark and sew a 4" line perpendicular to the seam 2" from point with marker; print medium-size patriotic design; sew medium buttons to corners of patriotic design. For flag, cut a 2"x3" rectangle from red fabric and a 1"x1-1/4" rectangle from blue fabric. Sew medium button to blue rectangle on flag, and flag to 11" dowel.
- Large Flowerpot
- 1. Follow same basic instructions as small flowerpot, making the following changes: cut a 14-1/2"x25 rectangle from burlap; mark and sew a 5-1/2" line perpendicular to the seam 2-3/4" from point with marker; print large-size patriotic design; sew large buttons to corners of patriotic design. For flag, cut a 2-1/2"x3-1/2" rectangle from red fabric and a 1-1/4"x1-1/2" rectangle from blue fabric. Sew large button to blue rectangle on flag, and flag to 13" dowel.