Trendy Pet Collars
- Color of choice thin-wale corduroy, 1/8 yd.
- Jingle bells, crystal beads, or pearl beads, 6mm: 10 for small collar, 15 for medium collar, or 20 for large collar
- Elastic, 1/4”, measurement of pet’s neck plus 1/2”
- Sewing needle and coordinating thread
- Safety pin
- 1. For small collar to fit neck smaller than 12", cut 2-1/2"x20-1/2" strip from fabric. For medium collar to fit neck between 12"-18", cut 3-1/2"x30-1/2" strip from fabric. For large collar to fit neck between 18"-24", cut 4-1/2"x40-1/2" strip from fabric. Use pencil to mark dots on fabric, 2" apart, across center of strip, working 1-1/4" in from each of short ends for a total of 10 dots on small collar, 15 dots on medium collar, and 20 dots on large collar.
- 2. Sew bells or beads to right side of fabric at marked dots.
- 3. Fold fabric so long edges are together with right side facing in. Sew 1/4" from long edges, leaving 2" at each end unstitched. Attach safety pin to one end of fabric strip and use pin to turn fabric strip right side out. Remove pin.
- 4. Place short ends of fabric strip together with right sides facing, and sew 1/4" from edges, forming a tube.
- 5. Cut elastic to pet's neck measurement plus 1/2". Attach safety pin to one elastic end and pull through fabric tube. Sew elastic ends together, 1/4" from edges. Check collar around pet's neck to make sure it fits comfortably. If so, turn raw edges of collar to inside; hand sew opening closed.
- 1. For super cute collars, try adorable animal print fabrics such as leopard, zebra, Dalmatian, and more.