- White long-sleeve t-shirt
- Ribbon: black grosgrain, 1-1/2”; black/white plaid, 5/8”
- Pearl buttons with shank, 3/8”, six
- White pearl cotton or craft thread
- Black sewing thread
- Black fine-tip marker
- Needles: embroidery; sewing
- Straight pins
- 1. Cut shirt vertically down center.
- 2. Cut two black ribbon lengths twice the length of cut edges of shirt, adding 1". Fold each ribbon length in half. Place ribbon lengths over top of shirt (with fold at top edge of shirt) so it covers cut ends; pin in place. (Note: Approximately 3/4" of ribbon should extend beyond cut edges on both sides, adding 1-1/2" to sweater front.) Turn raw ribbon edges under 1/2" at bottom edge of sweater; whipstitch to secure.
- 3. Sew a running stitch 1/8" from finished ribbon edges, through all thicknesses, knotting ends on wrong side. Remove pins.
- 4. For bows, cut six 3-1/2" plaid ribbon lengths. Fold ribbon length, so ends overlap at center for loops. Sew a basting stitch through center of loops, and pull stitches tightly to gather and knot. Sew buttons to center of loops and assembled bows evenly spaced to right side of black ribbon on sweater.