Shimmering Tree Skirt
- Red shimmer brocade fabric, 52”-wide, 2 yds.
- Coordinating felt, 52”-wide, 1-1/2 yds.
- Silver lace/beaded trim, 4-1/2 yds.
- Red velvet ribbon, 1/2”, 5 yds.
- Sewing machine and coordinating thread
- Iron and pressing board
- Pencil and at least 28” twine (for compass)
- 1. Fold felt in half and in half again opposite way. Using pencil and 25" of twine for "compass" and draw a 1/4 circle from center point. Using pencil and 3" of twine draw a 1/4 circle from center point again. Cut along both lines to create tree skirt bottom.
- 2. Cut a 52" length from shimmery red fabric. Fold into half and in half again opposite way. Using pencil and 25" twine length for "compass" and draw a 1/4 circle from center point. Use pencil and 3" twine length to draw 1/4 circle from center point again. Cut along both lines for tree skirt top. Lay wrong sides together onto bottom of tree skirt and stitch along both circular edges. Run two lines of stitching 1/2" apart from center to outer edge. Cut between stitching lines. Wrap red velvet along edge to act as a binding tape; stitch in place. Wrap red velvet along inside circular edge to act as binding tape; stitch in place.
- 3. Cut four 10"x50" strips from remaining red fabric. Place two strips right sides together and stitch along 10" length. Repeat with remaining two strips. Place two pieces now joined together right sides together and stitch together to create one long 10"- wide strip.
- 4. Lay right side of fabric flat on pressing board and fold at 5/8" along one edge and press, fold again and stitch to create hemmed edge. Fold in and stitch hem at both ends of strip. Sew a gathering stitch along entire unfinished edge. Pull to gather edge until it is just long enough to go around the entire edge of tree skirt. Spread the gathers evenly around entire edge and pin in place. Sew ruffle to tree skirt. Pin silver lace/bead trim and hand stitch in place over the seam between tree skirt and ruffle. Cut six 12" lengths from velvet ribbon and stitch three lengths to each side of tree skirt edges running from center out to for closure ties.