Pattern - Sewn Tree Coasters
- 1. Note: directions are for one coaster.
- 2. Roll clay through roller to condition. Roll clay through roller to desired thickness; cut one rectangle and three squares for presents, one gingerbread man, one peppermint candy, and one star for tree top. Roll clay very tin and cut into various lengths; shape and press on presents for ribbons. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake clay items on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- 3. Paint gingerbread man Milk Chocolate using round 1. Make dots Alizarin Crimson using round 3/0. Let dry.
- 4. Paint one square present each Festive Green and Alizarin Crimson and rectangle present Honeydew using shader. Paint present ribbons Splendid Gold using liner. Paint star Splendid Gold using shader. Dot ribbons in alternating colors using round. Paint red stripes on peppermint candy Alizarin Crimson using liner. Let dry. Apply varnish using wash. Let dry completely. Set aside.
- 5. Print out full-size pattern. Print patterns for tree; cut fabric as indicated.
- 6. Machine-sew Christmas tree piece 1 to piece 2; press seam open. Machine-sew piece 2 to piece 3; press seam open. With rights side together, stitch tree trunk to bottom of tree, matching darts. Use stitched tree as template to cut out cotton batting and fabric for backing. Place batting piece on the wrong side of tree; baste in place. Pin tree to backing piece with right sides together, matching edges. Starting at the bottom edge of trunk, machine-sew all around tree using 1/4" seam allowance, leaving a 2" opening for turning. Clip corners and turn right side out, gently pressing corners out.
- 7. Fold opening edges under 1/4" and press. Topstitch 1/8" from edge all around tree.
- 8. Cut Kreinik thread pieces at least 6" long. Zig-zag stitch over Kreinik thread pieces to decorate tree. Trim excess thread from tree edges. Hot glue star on top of tree and presents and treats beneath tree.