Quilted Bohemian Purse
- Various prints cotton fabrics, 5-1/2”x6-1/2”, 16
- Lightweight cotton lining fabric, coordinating solid or pattern, 3/8 yd.
- Brown satin roping, 3/8”, 36” lengths, two
- Warm & White needled cotton batting (The Warm Company)
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- Sewing needle
- Pins: straight; safety
- Cellophane tape
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. Sew print fabric rectangles together in rows of four, sewing along 6-1/2" sides. Sew rows together in pairs, for two large 12-1/2"x20-1/2" rectangles for bag front and back.
- 2. Cut two 12-1/2"x20-1/2" rectangles from batting. Baste batting rectangles to wrong sides of bag front and back. Sew purse front to back along side and bottom edges, leaving 2-1/2" unstitched at top of both sides.
- 3. Cut two 12-1/2"x20-1/2" lining fabric rectangles. Sew together along side and bottom edges, leaving 2-1/2" unstitched at top of both sides and 5" open along bottom seam. Sew lining to front and back of purse around top, including unstitched sides, leaving 1" opening at each of top corners to insert cord (Fig. 1). Clip seam at sides of bag. Turn purse right side out through opening in bottom of lining. Hand sew opening closed.
- 4. For casing, top stitch around purse, 1/8" and 1" from top edge. Wrap cellophane tape around cut ends of roping to keep from unraveling. Attach safety pin to one end of each length of roping. Insert roping through casing on one side purse, using safety pint to guide. Repeat for other side. Tie all four ends of roping in tight knot. Remove tape. Unravel satin strands of roping. Unravel satin thread at ends of strands and trim thread.
- 5. Sew all seams with right sides together, 1/4" from edges, pinning and pressing as needed.