Preppy Dog Coat
- Fabrics (amount needed depends upon size of dog): cotton plaid; coordinating faux fur
- Coordinating grosgrain ribbon, 1-1/2”
- Hook-and-loop tape, 3/4”-wide, 2” strips, two
- Sewing needle and matching thread
- Tape measure
- Straight pins
- 1. To determine coat width, place tape measure across dog's back from shoulders to end of body. To determine length, place tape measure over dog's back and down sides. Add 1" to each measurement for seam allowance. Cut coat measurement rectangles (12"x14") from plaid and fur fabrics. Round rectangle corners.
- 2. With right sides facing and using 1/2" seams, sew rectangles together, leaving 5" opening along one side for turning. Turn right side out. Hand sew opening closed.
- 3. Using Fig. 1 as assembly guide, drape coat over dog to determine placement of ribbon strap that goes behind front legs and pin ribbon strap (21") in place with ends extending evenly at sides. Sew ribbon pieces (9") to bottom front corners of coat for lower neck strap. (Note: Place raw edge of ribbon on coat under front leg strap). Sew front leg strap in place.
- 4. Sew hook-and-loop tape strips to ribbon strap ends for fasteners.
- 1. Instructions are provided in parenthesis for sample coat to fit a dog approximately 20 pounds. Leave ribbon straps long, then trim as needed after straps have been attached to coat, before attaching hook-and-loop tape.