Patchwork Flower Tote
size: 12"x22" (with handle)
- White canvas, 3/8 yd.
- Lightweight cotton fabrics, 4-1/2” squares, two each: lt. pink; med. pink; dk. pink; lt. blue; lt. purple; med. purple; lt. green; med. green
- Light pink silk flower
- Purple grosgrain ribbon, 1”, 21” lengths, two
- Lime green piping, 1-1/2 yds.
- Pink glass seed beads, 10/0
- Large safety pin
- Sewing needle
- Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- Sewing machine and white thread
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. Sew one square of each fabric color together in horizontal rows first, then sew horizontal rows together to form a block that is three squares across and three squares down for a total of nine squares. Repeat, making a second block in same way.
- 2. Sew piping across front side of top and bottom of patchwork blocks, 1/4" from edges. Press raw edges at top and bottom of patchwork block to back side so that finished piping edges shows at top.
- 3. Cut a 12"x31" white canvas rectangle. Pin patchwork blocks to canvas rectangle. (Note: Edges should be even at sides with bottom edge of blocks placed 1" from folded line at center.) Sew a line across top and bottom of patchwork blocks close to piping to secure blocks to canvas.
- 4. Fold canvas in half with right sides together and sew 1/4" from side edges. Machine sew zigzag stitch along raw edges at sides to keep seams from unraveling. Turn bag right side out.
- 5. Fold top of bag over 1-1/4" toward inside. Turn raw edge at top under 1/4". Sew around top of bag close to turned edge.
- 6. For handles, turn raw ends of ribbon over 1/2" to back side. Sew folded ribbon ends to top front and back of bag, using photo as placement guide. (Note: Sew a square around ribbon end, going over stitching several times to secure ribbon to bag.)
- 7. To finish flower, dab glue on stamen ends in flower center; sprinkle with seed beads while still wet. Hand sew safety pin to back of flower slightly above center. Pin flower to top right side of bag.
- 1. Sew all seams right sides together, using 1/4" seam allowance, pinning and pressing as needed.