Pattern - Needle Felted Baby Penguin Ornament
- 1. Iron dryer sheets. Trim to 6" squares. Print and cut out pattern. Transfer pattern to one sheet. Stack sheets on upholstery foam with pattern on top.
- 2. Using photo as color guide, lay thin layer of roving over each area of pattern and trim to fit. Cut at least three pieces of roving per section.
- 3. For first layer, position roving over corresponding area of pattern. Jab felting needle in and out of roving, through dryer sheets and into foam pad. (Note: You will hear a crunching noise when needle breaks through foam pad. Every so often, remove piece from foam so is doesn't get stuck.) Continue jabbing until first layer of roving is even, with very little nap, making sure outline is defined.
- 4. Continue needle felting with remaining layers of roving, jabbing less and less with layer for fluffiness.
- 5. After all large areas are filled in, add small orange triangle for beak, small black balls for eyes, and small white balls for snowflakes.
- 6. Position cotton thread along outline of pattern, for diamond shape with 3-1/2"-long sides; pin in place. Machine sew zigzag stitch over thread; trim ends. Cut around ornament, close to stitch lines. Spread glue on back of ornament to reinforce stitches.
- 7. For hanger, cut 6" thread length; fold in half. Sew ends to top back of ornament.
- 8. To stain ornament background, dampen ornament with spray bottle. Mix paint to skim milk consistency and sponge onto ornament. Spray again to disperse paint. Stain ornament Sand, then mix of Primary Blue + Titanium White (2:1), and then Payne's Gray. Let dry.