Monkey Blankie & Block
size: blanket, 30"x40"; block, 6" square
- Pastel micro polar fleece: blue, 2 yds.; 1/4 yd. each: pink; lavender; green; yellow
- Assorted brightly-colored ribbons, 3/8” to 7/8”-wide
- Simply Stamps: Zoo Monkey (54282) (Plaid)
- Tulip Soft Brushable Fabric Paint: Walnut Pearl (Duncan)
- Cosmetic-wedge sponge
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Sewing needle and white thread
- Straight pins
- 1. Blanket and ball are for playtime. They should be removed from crib when baby is sleeping.
- 1. Cut two 30-1/2"x40-1/2" blue fleece rectangles. Use Walnut Pearl paint to stamp monkeys evenly spaced, going in all directions, on one rectangle. Let dry.
- 2. Cut ribbons into 4" lengths. (Note: Designer used eighty-one lengths for sample design. Actual number depends upon widths used.) Fold ribbon lengths in half with right sides facing out. Sew basting stitch close to raw edges of folded ribbons. Pin raw edges of folded ribbons around edge of stamped monkey rectangle, leaving 1" space between. Sew basting stitch close to edge of rectangle to secure ribbons.
- 3. Sew fleece rectangles together, 1/4" from edges with right sides and ribbons facing in, leaving 6" opening on one side. Trim corners. Turn stitched rectangle right side out. Hand sew opening closed. Top stitch around assembled rectangle 1/4" from edge.
- Block - Note
- 1. Sew all seams with right sides together, 1/4" from edges, starting and stopping seams 1/4" from ends for easier assembly.
- 1. Cut the following 6-1/2" fleece squares: pink; yellow; lavender; green; two blue. Use Walnut Pearl to stamp monkey in center of each square, going in different directions. Let dry.
- 2. Cut ribbons into 12 4" lengths. Fold ribbons in half with right sides facing out. Sew basting stitch close to raw edges of folded ribbons.
- 3. Sew yellow, pink, green, and purple rectangles together in a row, attaching ribbon loop to center of each seam. Sew ends of row together, forming a tube, attaching a ribbon loop to center of seam.
- 4. Sew one blue square to one open end of pink, yellow, lavender, and green tube, attaching a ribbon loop to center of each side (pin and sew one side at a time).
- 5. Sew remaining blue square to opposite open end of pink, yellow, lavender, and green tube, in same way as before, leaving 4" opening on one side for turning.
- 6. Turn assembled block right side out. Fill block firmly with stuffing. Hand sew opening closed, attaching ribbon to center of side.
- Stamping on Fabric
- 1. Pour paint on paper plate. Dab cosmetic-wedge sponge into paint, then dab paint evenly on foam stamp. Press stamp down firmly on fabric, then lift straight up to prevent smudging. Reload stamp each time.