Kids’ PJ Pants
sizes: small (4T-5T), medium (6-8 child), large (10-12 child)
- Cotton fabric: chevron print, 1-3/4 yd.; coordinating fabric, 1/3 yd.
- Polyform Sculpey UltraLight Clay
- Waistband elastic, 1/2”-wide
- Sewing machine, needle, and matching thread
- Paintbrushes: flat, pointed round
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin, flower clay cutter, parchment-lined baking sheet, oven
- DecoArt Patio Paint: Desert Turquoise, Apple Green, Coral Sunset; Duraclear Satin Varnish
- scissors, measuring tape, straight pins, toothpick, iron and pressing surface, craft knife
Pattern - Kids' PJ Pants
- 1. Condition clay in hands until soft and pliable. Roll 1-1/2" clay ball through roller using desired thickness. To make button, cut flower from clay sheet using cutter. Poke four holes in center of button using toothpick. Repeat for second button. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake buttons on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- 2. Paint edges and top surface of buttons (1:1) mixture of Desert Turquoise + Apple Green; let dry. Add second coat; let dry. Paint monogram initials Coral Sunset using point round; let dry. Add Coral Sunset dots to each intersection on letters; let dry. Apply varnish to all surfaces of buttons; let dry. Set aside.
- 3. Print out full-size patterns. Print and cut PJ bottom pattern pieces. Cut out fabric as indicated on pattern.
- 4. With right sides together, pin front band to bottom of front leg. Stitch together, taking a 1/2" seam allowance. Repeat for other leg. Using same method, pin and sew back bands to bottom of back legs. Press all seams open.
- 5. Placing right sides together, stitch front to back at side seams and inner leg seams. Repeat for other pant leg.
- 6. Turn one pant leg right side out; insert into first pant leg so that right sides are facing. Pin center seam, matching inner leg seams. Stitch together, taking 1/2" seam allowance. To reinforce seam, stitch again over first stitching. Trim seam in curved area to 1/4"; press remaining seam open.
- 7. To create waistband casing, press upper edge under 1/4" then turn under again 1". Stitch close to edge of casing, leaving 2" opening to insert elastic.
- 8. Measure and cut elastic to fit waist, then add 1". Insert elastic into casing with large safety pin attached to end. Work elastic through casing, pinning other end to fabric so elastic doesn't slip through.
- 9. Making sure elastic is not twisted, stitch ends together with zigzag stitch. Machine-stitch casing opening closed, taking care not to catch elastic with needle. Spread out gathers evenly.
- 10. Machine-sew hem at bottom of pants to desired length; press. Topstitch seam close to edge at top of leg bands; press.
- 11. Hand-sew clay buttons on outside seam at top of bands.