Elephant Valentine Candy Pot
size: 12" tall
- Clay pot, 6”
- Pink women’s socks, one pair
- Wooden dowel, 1/8”, 12” length
- Fuchsia acrylic paint
- Buttons, two each: pink, 7/8”; white, 5/8”; black, 3/8”
- Ribbon: fuchsia satin, 1/4”; white satin, 1”; fuchsia/white check, 5/8”; lt. blue grosgrain, 3/8”
- White cardstock
- Coordinating paper
- Sewing thread: pink; white
- Fiberfill stuffing
- White metal eyelets, 3/16”, three
- Hole punch, 3/16”
- Circle punch, 1”
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- 1. For head and body, cut one sock at heel. Stuff sock foot. Turn raw edges of sock under and whip stitch edges together for bottom of body.
- 2. For ear, cut 5"-wide strip from top of sock. Turn raw edges of sock under and whip stitch edges together (whip stitched edges are top and bottom of ear). Sew basting stitch close to one side edge of ear and pull stitches to gather. Knot thread to secure gathering. Sew gathered edge to side of head at top. Repeat for remaining ear, cutting strip from top of remaining sock.
- 3. For trunk, cut 3"x5" rectangle from remaining sock foot. Fold rectangle in half, forming a 1-1/2"x5" rectangle. Turn long raw edges under and whip stitch edges together. Turn bottom of trunk under and to one side, and stitch to secure. Whip stitch top of trunk to center of head. Sew pink, white, and black buttons on top of each other above trunk with white thread for eyes (insert needle under trunk to hide knots).
- 4. Paint outside of clay pot fuchsia. (Note: Leave inside of pot unpainted so it is food-safe.) Let dry. Punch 1" circles from white card stock and glue evenly-spaced around side of pot. Wrap white satin and fuchsia check ribbons together around top of pot; tie bow and glue to secure. Trim ends.
- 5. Place small amount of batting in bottom, then elephant in center of pot. Pour candy around elephant to fill pot.
- 6. For banner, print "happy love day" on patterned paper (back with white cardstock if paper is lightweight). Cut banner around words. Punch 3/16" holes in left side of banner; attach eyelets. Glue eyelet end of banner to top of dowel. Insert 1/4" fuchsia ribbon through eyelets, around dowel, and tie on side. Insert dowel behind elephant on left side.
- 7. Print "hugs & kisses" on patterned paper (back with white cardstock if needed). Cut tag around words. Punch 3/16" hole in tag; attach eyelet. Thread blue ribbon through eyelet on tag and ribbon on pot and knot ends together.