Christmas Diamonds Tree Skirt
- Cotton print fabric: red, 2-1/4 yds., green, 1 yd., cream, 1 yd.
- White backing fabric, 60”x60”
- The Warm Co. Warm and Natural Soft and Bright Batting, 60”x60”
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- Rotary cutter, cutting mat, and transparent grid-lined ruler
- scissors, straight pins, iron and pressing surface, needle, ruler or tape measure
- 1. Note: This skirt was constructed like a lap quilt and quilted before actually cutting the opening for the tree.
- 2. For red and green four-patch blocks, cut five 3-1/2"x38-1/2" strips and one 3-1/2"x31-1/2" strip each from red and green fabrics. Sew one red and one green of same length strips together on long edge to make six total strip sets. See Figure 1. Cut each strip set at 3-1/2" intervals to make 64 red and green units. See Figure 2. Sew two units together to make one four-patch unit. See Figure 3. Repeat to make a total of 32 four-patch blocks.
- 3. For cream and red blocks, cut five 3-1/2"x38-1/2" and one 3-1/2"x31-1/2" cream strips. Cut strips at 3-1/2" intervals to make 64 squares. Cut six 2"x40" strips and one 2"x16" strip each from red and cream fabrics. Sew one red and one cream of same length strips together on long edge to make seven total strip sets. Cut each strip set at 2" intervals to make 128 red and cream units. Sew two units together to make one four-patch unit. Repeat to make a total of 64 four-patch blocks.
- 4. Arrange two four-patch squares and two cream and red squares to make one block. Sew units together in pairs, then sew pairs together to make block. See Figure 4 - Block Layout. Make 16 blocks total.
- 5. Arrange blocks as shown in Layout Diagram, turning as needed to make pattern. Sew blocks together in rows, then sew rows together to make quilt top.
- 6. For borders, cut five 3-1/2"x40" and one 3-1/2"x6" red strips. Sew strips together on short ends to make one long strip; press seams to one side. Cut two 3-1/2"x48-1/2" pieces from strip; sew to top and bottom of quilt top with right sides facing. Press seams away from center. Cut two 3-1/2"x54-1/2" pieces from remaining strip; sew to sides of quilt top with right sides facing. Press seams away from center.
- 7. Layer quilt backing (right side down), batting, and quilt top (right side up). Pin or baste to secure layers. Quilt as desired. (Note: Designer quilted tree skirt in an all-over swirl pattern.) Trim to straighten edges.
- 8. For tree skirt opening, find center of one side of quilted piece. Cut carefully on each side of seam line as shown on Layout Diagram with Cutting Lines. For tree trunk opening, cut away center until all that remains is 3/4" of green all around.
- 9. For binding, cut eight 2-1/2"x40" red strips. Sew strips together on short ends to make one long strip; press seams to one side. Enclosing wrong side, fold strip in half lengthwise to make a 1-1/4"-wide strip. Sew binding strip to front of skirt top, starting at opening in back so it is less conspicuous. Turn binding to back and hand- or machine-sew to enclose raw edges.
- 1. Create as a lap quilt instead of a tree skirt by eliminating the opening and simply binding the quilted piece.