Pattern - Appliqued Bird Apron
- 1. For apron, cut two 20-1/2"x25-1/2" white twill rectangles. Use Fig. 1 to trim apron sides as shown. Print and cut out patterns. Trim bottom of apron, following pattern.
- 2. For pocket, cut two 5-1/2" white twill squares. Sew squares together, 1/4" from edges, leaving 3" opening along one side for turning. Trim seam at corners. Turn pocket right side out through opening. Hand sew opening closed. Glue rickrack to pocket, wrapping rickrack ends over side and bottom pocket edges. Cut 1-1/2" piece from iron-on adhesive. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse to back of brown fabric. Cut 1-1/4" circle from fused fabric for berry. Remove backing; fuse to pocket. Use brown floss to blanket stitch around berry edges and across top of pocket. Pin pocket to upper left side of apron front. Use brown floss to blanket stitch around side and bottom edges of pocket to attach pocket to apron.
- 3. Glue rickrack to apron front for branches.
- 4. Adhere iron-on adhesive to tan (large enough for seven leaves and bird body), brown (large enough for eight berries), and medium blue (large enough for bird wings and tail), cut shapes from fused fabric, and adhere to apron, reversing pattern for some leaves. Use brown floss to blanket stitch over rick rack and around outside edges of appliquéd pieces. Transfer swirls to top of bird's head; use one strand brown floss to stem stitch swirl.
- 5. Sew apron front to back with right sides together, 1/4" from edges, leaving 5" opening along top edge. Trim seam at corners. Turn apron right side out through opening. Hand sew opening closed.
- 6. Use brown floss to blanket stitch across bottom edge of apron. Pin ribbon across top of apron with ends extending evenly at sides. Sew around edges of ribbon on apron to secure waistband.
- 1. Pin and press fabric as needed. Use three strands of floss for all blanket stitching. Use photo as placement guide throughout.