Springtime Entertaining Ensemble
sizes: towel, 19"x28"; apron, adult; pot holder, 7"x7"; wooden hanger, 7-1/2"x9-3/4"
- Wooden oval sign with hooks, 7-1/2”x9-7/8”
- Jumbo Woodsies teardrops, 3-1/4”, two
- Yellow check towels, two
- Cotton fabrics: large flower print, 3/8 yd.; lt. brown, 1/4 yd.; scraps: pink; green/white check; orange mottled
- Assorted embellishments: pink/white check ribbon, 3/8”, 1-1/4 yds.; off-white lace, 1”, 7” length; off-white flat button, 7/8”; off-white piping, 1 yd.
- Embroidery floss: black; med. brown
- Americana Acrylic Paints: Lamp Black; Mississippi Mud; Fawn; Moon Yellow; Warm White; Pink Chiffon; French Mocha
- Crafter’s Pick The Ultimate! Glue
- Paintbrushes: Crafter’s Choice: Stencil, Series 1111, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”; Angular Sash, Series 985, 1”; Golden Taklon Liner, Series 595, #1
- Steam-A-Seam Sticky Back for Applique
- Warm & Natural needled cotton batting
- Tea bags
- Masking tape
- Thin plastic sheet
- White sewing thread
- Sewing machine
Pattern - Springtime Entertaining Ensemble
- 1. Print and cut out patterns. (Note: Use three strands of brown floss and one strand of black floss throughout.)
- 1. Follow manufacturer's instructions to adhere Steam-A-Seam Sticky Back to wrong side of appliqué fabrics. Cut bunny from brown, carrot from orange, and nose and teardrop ear shapes from pink fabric.
- 2. Cut hem from bottom front of towel. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse bunny pieces to center front of towel. (Note: Bottom of bunny should be even with bottom edge of towel.)
- 3. Transfer details to bunny. Use brown floss to blanket around outside of bunny and arm details, leaving bottom edge of bunny unstitched. Use black floss to: straight stitch around edges of teardrop ear shapes, nose, carrot, and along whiskers; stem stitch muzzle line; make French knots on eye dots, wrapping floss around needle three times for each knot.
- 4. Tear three 3/4"x4" strips from green fabric. Place strips together with ends even and fold in half. Wrap white thread several times around folded end and stitch to top of carrot. Stitch ribbon bow to bunny under face.
- 5. Cut a 3"-wide strips from flower fabric that is 1/2" longer than width of towel. Sew strip to bottom front of towel with right sides together, using 1/4" seam allowance, and ends extending 1/4" at both sides. Fold all raw edges under 1/4" and hand sew to bottom back of towel, forming a 1-1/4"-wide border at bottom of towel.
- 1. For waistband casing, fold one long side of towel over 3/4" to back and sew close to edge.
- 2. Cut two 7-1/4" squares from flower fabric for pocket. Appliqué and embroider bunny to one square, following basic instructions for towel, omitting carrot and cut bottom of bunny along line indicated on pattern.
- 3. Baste lace across top of bunny pocket. Sew pocket squares together with right sides facing, using a 3/8" seam allowance and leaving 4" open along one side. Trim corners and turn pocket right side out through opening. Hand sew opening in pocket closed. Sew ribbon bow to bunny under face. Pin pocket to top left side of apron. Blanket stitch along side and bottom edge of pocket to attach it to apron.
- 4. Wrap small piece of masking tape around end of long jute length and attach pin to taped end. Thread jute through casing, using pinned end, leaving 18" ends on both sides of apron. Gather jute in casing slightly and knot jute at side edges of apron. Machine stitch through jute at edges of apron to secure it.
- Pot Holder
- 1. Cut two 7-1/4" squares from flower fabric. Appliqué and embroider bunny to one square, following basic instructions for towel, omitting carrot and cut bottom of bunny along line indicated on pattern. Sew ribbon bow to bunny under face.
- 2. Cut two 7-1/4" squares from batting. Baste batting squares to back of fabric squares. Baste piping around front edge of pot holder, beginning and ending in top right corner and clipping raw edge of piping at corners while stitching.
- 3. Sew fabric squares together with right sides facing, using 3/8" seam allowance and leaving 4" opening along one side. Trim corners and turn pot holder right side out through opening. Hand sew opening closed.
- 4. Sew button to top right corner of pot holder. Knot ends of 8" jute length together. Wrap jute loop around button for hanger.
- Wooden Hanger
- 1. Paint wood on hanger Mississippi Mud, Paint Warm White on top of Mississippi Mud, until coverage is opaque, allowing paint to dry between coats. Sand surface and edges of wooden hanger, letting brown undercoat show through for a distressed look.
- 2. Apply 1"-wide tape pieces vertically side by side across front of hanger. Remove every other piece. Dab 1/2" dry stencil brush in Moon Yellow, then wipe excess on paper towel. Dab paint lightly on areas between tape, leaving white showing underneath. Remove tape. Repeat procedure, apply tape pieces horizontally, to make checkerboard.
- 3. Tape bunny pattern under stencil plastic. Use craft knife to cut out bunny along dashed lines on top of head and bottom edge for pot holder. Tape bunny stencil to center bottom of wooden hanger. Stencil bunny Fawn, letting paint underneath show through in areas, and shade edges Mississippi Mud. Shade cheeks French Mocha.
- 4. Paint wooden teardrops Warm White. Dab Fawn on ear in same way as bunny and shade edges Mississippi Mud.
- 5. Cut out stencils for ear teardrops and nose in same way as bunny. Stencil teardrops in wooden ear shapes and nose on bunny with Pink Chiffon and shade edges French Mocha.
- 6. Use pointed end of paintbrush handle to dot eyes Lamp Black. Paint tiny stitches around ear teardrops, nose, whiskers and muzzle line with Lamp Black.
- 7. Glue ribbon bow to bunny under face. Glue wooden ears to top of bunny.
- 1. Use bunny pattern to decorate place mats, gift bags, pillows, album covers and more.