Quilted Mug Rug
Quilted Mug Rug
- Fabric, in five coordinating prints, 1/8 yd.
- Backing fabric, 7”x9”
- Cotton batting, 7”x9”
- Sewing machine with matching thread
- The Warm Co. Steam-A-Seam 2 Fusible Webbing, 1/4 yd.
- scissors, ruler, pencil, pins, iron and pressing surface
- 1. Measure and cut variety of strips from coordinating fabrics in widths ranging from 1-3/4" to 2-1/2" and measuring 7" long.
- 2. Using 1/4" seam allowance, machine-sew fabric strips together, creating patchwork rectangle. Press seams open with iron. Cut patchwork rectangle to measure 7"x9".
- 3. Position patchwork rectangle on top of batting and backing fabric. Pin edges.
- 4. With sewing machine on straight stitch, randomly stitch from corner to corner, along edges, and through center of fabrics, creating freeform quilted design. Clip thread ends.
- 5. Follow manufacturer's instructions to apply fusible webbing to wrong side of two fabric scraps measuring 6-1/2"x3-1/2". From fused fabric, cut four 2" squares. Remove backing from squares; position on points to create diamond shapes; and press onto quilted rectangle. Fuse shapes in place. Machine-sew around edges of each diamond.
- 6. Apply fusible webbing to wrong side of 1-1/2"x32" strip of fabric. From fused fabric, cut two 1"x7" and two 1"x9" strips. Crease and finger press strips creating binding. Remove paper backing from strips. Center 7" side of quilted rectangle between 7"-long binding strip; press with iron. Repeat process to apply binding strips to remaining three sides of quilted rectangle. Trim ends.
- 1. Use coordinating-color fabric scraps in your stash and purchased binding for a quick gift idea.