The Dow Chemical Co.
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Egg, 3”
- Repurposed or recycled items: adult-size fuzzy black glove, white stretch glove, kid’s print sock
- Felt: orange, scrap; white, 1/2”x7”
- Black beads, 8mm, two
- Ribbon, 1/4”-wide
- Pink chalk or powdered blush
- Adhesives: white tacky glue, low-temp glue gun and sticks
- scissors, ruler, pencil, plastic knife, twist tie or rubber band, large-eye sewing needle, sponge scrap
Pattern - Glove Penguins
- 1. Slice piece off egg using plastic knife so egg will stand. Use sharpened pencil to create hole on flat end of egg.
- 2. Cut fingers off black glove. Cut side of glove so fabric lays flat with right side down.
- 3. Place narrow end of egg in center of fabric and stretch fabric around egg. Gather fabric ends with twist tie at hole. Cut off excess fabric above tied end.
- 4. Remove twist tie; spot glue hole using tacky glue. Using sharp tool like knitting needle or skewer, tuck all edges of black fabric down firmly into hole. Stretch the fabric up and space folds in fabric evenly around hole so surface of egg is smooth.
- 5. For wings, use two black glove fingers. Adhere cut ends of each wing closed; trim edges. Adhere wings on sides of egg (body).
- 6. For belly, cut out 2-1/2"x2" oval from white glove fabric. Cut top into heart shape. Adhere belly onto front of penguin. Let dry.
- 7. Print out patterns. Cut beak and feet from orange felt.
- 8. Iron beak in half as shown; apply tacky glue along fold and press on face. Adhere feet to bottom of body. Adhere black beads on face for eyes. Blush cheeks using chalk and sponge scrap.
- 9. Cut hat from print sock using pattern provided. Hand-sew side seam closed; turn right side out. Adhere hat on head using glue gun. Adhere white felt strip around base of hat and pom-pom to top of hat using glue gun. Let dry.
- 10. Thread ribbon through back of hat using needle. Trim ribbon and knot ends together to hang.
- 1. Substitute repurposed black glove with furry fleece or other scrap fabric.