Pattern - Scrap Basket Wall Hanging
- 1. Size is 25" square.
- 1. Use 1/4" seam allowance throughout.
- Basket Hanging
- 1. Cut 32 strips of scrap fabric 1"x8-1/2". Sew strips together randomly on long sides to make four rectangles of eight strips each. Press seams in one direction. (Note: Rectangles should measure 4-1/2"x8-1/2".) See Figure 1.
- 2. For basket, cut eight 2-7/8" squares from white fabric. Draw diagonal line across wrong side of each white square. Lay white square on one corner of striped rectangle with right sides together. See Figure 2. Sew on drawn line. Press seam toward striped piece; trim away excess seam allowance.
- 3. For handle, cut 8-1/4" square from white fabric. Place pin on each outer side of square. (Note: Pinned side will be side that is sewn to basket later.) Cut twice on diagonal. See Figure 3. Cut eight 7/8"x7" strips from scrap fabric (two of same per basket). Sew one handle strip to right side of triangle, press seam carefully toward strip, then sew remaining handle strip to left side of basket. See Figure 4. Press seam toward strip. Trim excess fabric even with bottom of triangle. See Figure 5. Cut four 4-7/8" squares from white fabric. Cut once on diagonal; sew to each handle. Press seam toward handle.
- 4. Sew basket and handle sections together. Press seams toward basket.
- 5. Print out pattern. Trace heart four times on paper side of fusible adhesive leaving 1/4" border around each shape. Cut around outside of each heart. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse onto wrong side of four scrap fabrics. Cut out on traced lines. Remove paper from applique. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse heart shapes on center of baskets. Use hand or machine blanket stitch to secure.
- 6. Cut two 1-1/2"x34" (width of fabric) strips from blue floral print fabric. Cut two 1"x34" strips from white fabric. Sew one white strip to each blue strip; press seams toward blue. Cut each strip at 8-1/2" intervals to make eight 2"x8-1/2" segments (four per strip).
- 7. Cut 2"x18" strip from white fabric; cut at 2" intervals to make nine squares.
- 8. Cut two 1"x34" strips from white fabric and one 1"x34" strip from blue floral print fabric. Sew white strips to either side of blue strip. Press seams toward blue. Cut at 8-1/2" intervals to make four 2"x8-1/2" segments.
- 9. Arrange strips, squares, and blocks as shown on photo. Sew together in rows, then sew rows together to make quilt top.
- 10. For borders, cut two 1-1/2"x21" and two 1-1/2"x23" strips from green fabric. Sew short pieces to opposite sides of quilt top. Press all border seams away from center. Sew longer pieces to remaining sides. Cut two 1-1/2"x23" and two 1-1/2"x25" strips from blue floral print fabric. Sew short pieces to opposite sides of quilt and long pieces to remaining sides of quilt top. Press all border seams away from center.
- 11. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing together on work surface. Pin or baste. Quilt as desired.
- 12. Trim edges of quilt if needed. Cut two 2-1/2"x42" strips and one 2-1/2"x24" strip from blue floral print fabric. Sew together on short edges to make one long strip. Press seams open. Match raw edges, fold, and press strip to make a binding strip 1-1/4"-wide. Match raw edge of binding to raw edge of quilt and sew, mitering binding at corners. Turn folded edge of binding to back of quilt. Hand or machine sew to secure. To hang, sew plastic rings or hanging sleeve to back of quilt.
- 1. To save time, substitute a 4-1/2"x8-1/2" piece of fabric for pieced rectangle made in Step 1.