Quilted Chick Tote
Can't wait to shed the cold weather attire for something more inviting? Nothing screams spring like the bright designs in this adorable quilted chick tote. Change the stamps to a different theme to create fun and stylish totes for all seasons.
Quilted Chick Tote
- Coordinating fabric: patterned, 1/4 yd.; solid, 1/4 yd.; lining, 1/2 yd.
- Cotton Batting: 1/4 yd.
- Brown satin ribbon
- Bird stamps of choice, three
- Imagine Crafts Tsukineko Brilliance Coffee Bean Ink Pad
- Imagination International COPIC Markers
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Iron and pressing surface
- scissors, yardstick, straight pins, needle
- 1. Size is 8"x12".
- Quilted Chick Tote
- 1. Cut six each 4-1/2" squares from patterned and solid fabric. From lining fabric, cut twelve 4-1/2" squares and fourteen 3-1/2"x4-1/2" rectangles. From batting, cut twelve 4" squares and seven 3"x4" rectangles.
- 2. Use photo as guide to stamp images on solid fabric squares. Use iron to heat set ink. Color images with markers.
- 3. Stack the following: six sandwiches consisting of a stamped square, batting piece, and lining piece; six sandwiches consisting of patterned fabric, batting piece, and lining piece; seven sandwiches consisting of two lining rectangles with coordinating batting in middle.
- 4. Secure all sandwiches by sewing an "X" through each one.
- 5. Sew front panel of six squares together, alternating patterned fabric with stamped fabric. Keep seams facing out so they are visible and inside will look more "finished." Repeat for back panel.
- 6. Sew sandwiches that consist only of lining fabric together end to end.
- 7. Align seams and sew lining band to front and back panels. The lining band makes up the bottom and sides of purse.
- 8. For handles, cut a 2"-wide strip from lining fabric to desired length. Fold wrong sides together in half lengthwise; sew. Pin handles to purse. Pin ribbon loop in place. Topstitch seam around entire top opening of purse to secure handles and ribbon. Sew button to purse.
- 9. Clip all exposed seams 1/2" apart. Wash, dry and clip any loose threads.